Author Topic: KX is running backwards  (Read 5461 times)

dsnyder

KX is running backwards
« on: July 04, 2005, 01:18:49 AM »
Guys, I need your help! Can't figure out why my boys bike is running backward and the season is fast dissapearing. Here's whats happening:
Traded the PW80 on a 1989 L2 KX 80 that came with a parts bike also. Went through the KX 80 and took it to the riding track so the boy could get used to the clutch....No problems,ran fine . Came home ,wanted to ride togetherwith him and me on my Blaster. Started the KX 80 and when we let the clutch out it went backwards! What a surprise. I am new to the bike word..I am an ASE Master Truck technicion but have alot to learn on the MX side.
  After some inspection, I found that when the engine is brought down to a stall condition(as in learning how to use the clutch) or if it's not kicked a full stroke when starting, it will run backward. Everyone tells me it's timing but I am not sure I'm checking it correctly. Here's what I've done so far:
1) Pulled the rotor(flywheel) and checked the key, crank keyway and flywheel keyway..all were ok.

2) Made a TDC piston stop and at TDC marked the case for TDC through 25 degrees advanced. Also marked the flywheel for TDC.

3) Hooked up a timing light with an external battery and checked timing.It showed 30 degrees advance @ about 1/3 throttle. As I went over this throttle position, the light quit strobing( to high of an RPM to strobe properly?) Is this normal?

Here's what I need to know: Is this a normal condition?

What is the proper way to check timing?

What could be causing this?

There are a few items to note: The previous owner was seemingly not to good at piecing things together . The schematic shows that the KX stator should have 4 wires,mine only has 3 which is what the KDX should have. I think the guy before me changed it. What is the other wire for could this effect timing?

Hot,cold,wet or dry doesn't make any difference

Also I have an artificial leg and can't kick the engine real good at the track.

Lots of queastion...I sure would appreciate your help[/b]

Offline Spider

KX is running backwards
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005, 04:49:15 AM »
I once had a TS 400 which would start backward after it got wet, just reved the heck out of it to see were the smoke was comming from before letting out the clutch and getting a suprise. As a husky owner with a left side kickstart I start them standing next to the bike. Hope it helps

Offline John

• http://www.hallbergs.net
KX is running backwards
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2005, 06:11:10 AM »
Is this the first time it happened?

My son have had an 80 and now has an 85, never had this problem...

//John

dsnyder

KX is running backwards
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 09:21:34 AM »
Quote from: Spider
I once had a TS 400 which would start backward after it got wet, just reved the heck out of it to see were the smoke was comming from before letting out the clutch and getting a suprise. As a husky owner with a left side kickstart I start them standing next to the bike. Hope it helps

I am starting to lean toward the possibility that the prievious owner installed the stator and rotor from the KDX parts bike.I found out today that the KDX timing should be 25 degrees BTDC and the KX should be  degrees BTDC. It seems a likly senario. My problem is I don't knoew anyone with a KX to look at to compare.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
KX is running backwards
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 03:16:22 PM »
I would suggest a service manual, which you can pick up at any local dealer (clymer or genuine kawasaki). Both will have the timing information /w pictures. Plus, it is a good idea to have them just incase you need any other service/repair information.