Author Topic: Rigging powervalve open  (Read 1984 times)

gumby_55

Rigging powervalve open
« on: March 06, 2005, 10:06:35 AM »
I've had alot of problems with my powervalve lately on my KX500, and I'm starting to get tired of it. The actuating arm has some gears on the inside which open and close the powervalve. Some of the parts are worn or not working properly I'm assuming, but it isn't opening the powervalve, and it is making my bike VERY slow at high rpm's. I miss my massive neon green powerband and it's now starting to feel like a four stoke. (No offense to you thumper guys) Anyway I've heard you can rig the powervalve open so it never closes. I've heard of people doing it on some of the smaller bikes. I was thinking of taking off the cylinder and setting up the powervalve so it is open and when I put it back together I wasn't going to attach the exhaust advancer which pulls the actuating arm in and out. Then the P.V. will always stay open. I was just wondering what type of effects this would have on my bike. I've been told that I will lose some of my bottom end but it will make the powerband hit more severe. I was hoping to get some feedback before I made a decision. Sorry for the long post. THANKS

Rowdy-Yates

Rigging powervalve open
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 06:06:26 PM »
I will post just because I had a friend experiment with this in the late 80's. I think it was on a 86 CR 125 he had a 86 YZ80 at that time too. The 80 would beat the 125. I know that you are not running a 125 but I am guessing the results would not be good. I would spend the cash and fix or replace the parts.

Offline Timbowe

Rigging powervalve open
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005, 06:54:50 PM »
Power valve is there for a reason. It,ll make a pig out of your bike. Parts are cheap, fix it. Theres a lot of fun to be had out of that broad low end as well as the top end! Great thing is a properly functioning power valve. 5 cents from tim. [we dont have 2,s here any more.] :blowup:
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

mikesmith

Rigging powervalve open
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005, 07:42:32 PM »
Does it have worn parts or just sticking/gummed up?Any way as mentioned above its money well spent to fix it.