Author Topic: Better brake pads - EBC or OEM?  (Read 4145 times)

Offline jcm3

Better brake pads - EBC or OEM?
« on: July 11, 2014, 04:51:10 AM »
Been doing tons of searches both on here and on the web, but just a onesy - twosy response here or there.  

Anyone tried both and have any input?  My gut says go with EBC, since I imagine that technology has improved over time.  But I did find one post where one guy says OEM works better, dissipates heat better, etc (harder on rotors, though).  I just bought an EBC oversized rotor kit so I want to go with good pads and am looking for some validation.   :-)

I can find brand new OEM pads on eBay for 19.99, EBC's for 24.99.  They are within $5 of each other (OEM pads vs the EBC race sintered pads) so price is not a consideration.

Thanks for any input!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 05:15:37 AM by jcm3 »
2000 KX500 - Tom Morgan motor, RG3 suspension, EBC oversized front brake rotor - lots-o-fun

Offline alward25

Re: Better brake pads - EBC or OEM?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 05:48:36 AM »
When it comes to brakes, any aftermarket is an upgrade.  I run the tusk sintered metal and I get just as much life and braking as the expensive EBC or Galfer. I just changed my rear pads on my race bike and they have been on for 1.5 years.  That is 2 6hr, 2 12hr, 1 Devil's Head ISDE, 1 24hr and a crap ton of riding in the middle.  So, use what makes you happy. :-D
"Let there be light"

Offline jcm3

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 06:07:11 AM »
When it comes to brakes, any aftermarket is an upgrade.  I run the tusk sintered metal and I get just as much life and braking as the expensive EBC or Galfer. I just changed my rear pads on my race bike and they have been on for 1.5 years.  That is 2 6hr, 2 12hr, 1 Devil's Head ISDE, 1 24hr and a crap ton of riding in the middle.  So, use what makes you happy. :-D

Good info, thank you.  I just checked them on eBay, and they are about the same cost as stock, so there isn't a significant difference in price between any of them.   Maybe I'll pick the color I'd like, maybe burnt sienna?   :evil:
2000 KX500 - Tom Morgan motor, RG3 suspension, EBC oversized front brake rotor - lots-o-fun

Offline alward25

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 06:28:01 AM »
I get them for about $7 maybe that's why I don't care so much.
"Let there be light"

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 06:45:29 AM »
I was reading up on brake pads on here last year to see who was using what...one of the older gurus, KXcam22 maybe...suggested the Renthal RC series pads.
I bought a set of front and rears last spring, and they're still about 50%.
Take into consideration I only ride in damp cool conditions...I won't ride when it's over 80 degrees and dry/dusty.
Before trying a set of the Renthals, I used the EBC for years.

http://www.renthal.com/shop/fit-my-bike?activetab=BP

« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 06:58:15 AM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline jcm3

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 07:29:43 AM »
I get them for about $7 maybe that's why I don't care so much.

Wow, I'd be getting those in that case also.  Very cheap!

Offline jcm3

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 07:42:16 AM »
I was reading up on brake pads on here last year to see who was using what...one of the older gurus, KXcam22 maybe...suggested the Renthal RC series pads.
I bought a set of front and rears last spring, and they're still about 50%.
Take into consideration I only ride in damp cool conditions...I won't ride when it's over 80 degrees and dry/dusty.
Before trying a set of the Renthals, I used the EBC for years.

Another good option.  I just ordered the EBC sintered brake pads, but may try these and the Tusk brake pads the next few times so I can compare.