Author Topic: kx500 Suggestions Mods needed (rear caliper contacting silencer)  (Read 4559 times)

Offline Doubleday77

I'm looking for some mod suggestions in regards to the rear caliber on my kx5 coming in contact with my silencer. It's dented the silencer pretty good and wearing down the top of the caliper. Sub frame not  caring for it either. The suspension is sprung to my weight and valved.  Thanks
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 01:08:44 AM by Doubleday77 »

Offline alward25

Re: kx500 Suggestions Mods needed (rear caliper contacting silencer)
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 01:43:07 AM »
did u set your sag? what are your comp/rebound settings?
"Let there be light"

Offline Doubleday77

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 02:44:17 AM »
Suspension tech (six12 race tech) comes out weekly to the track to make adjustments as needed.  I have the k5 shock settled in rite where I want it, sag is good.  If anything we have it riding a little high in the rear. I'm running a fmf power core but even the stock silencer was making contact.  Maybe pro circuit is a little less bulky? IDK

Offline reklessj

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 02:54:21 AM »
Is your subframe straight, cuz I've got tire rubs all over the inside my fenders but never once dented my silencer
My rides: 1994 KX500, 1988 T4, 1998, ZXI 1100 JETSKI, 2003 MOUNTAIN CAT 900
WIFES (Baby Fiver) rides: 2004 KTM 105SX,1992 LT250R, 1995 ZXI 900 JETSKI,  2011 RMK 600
SONS ride: 1995 YZ125,2002 RM 250
other rides: 2007 RMZ450 RC Ediition, 2003 RMK700

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 03:00:21 AM »
Something is amiss. Find the problem before you start modifying. There should not be contact. Loose, bent, twisted, incorrect or worn parts. Something is going on.
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 03:18:55 AM »
Something is amiss. Find the problem before you start modifying. There should not be contact. Loose, bent, twisted, incorrect or worn parts. Something is going on.

that's kinda what I'm thinkin...

I've never had a problem with mine ever hitting the caliper, even over an occasional 40' table and big rolling sand whoops in my local powerlines...I've also run the Pro Circuit and FMF Power Core...
are you doing free-style jumping on this thing or something?? :?...or weigh 350+? :?
might be worth double checking the spring rate you're running.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Doubleday77

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 06:44:17 AM »
I've double checked all has been mentioned. just had suspension  re-valved, sprung(5.8 kg 208lb rider), seals bumper no more than a month ago. Subframe is straight, all exhaust mounts work and in tacked and line up. Getting a little fender rub on the top from the tire. I do ride it hard at the track and at time land in the flats off jumps but i would hate to think it was not capable of now a day tracks :cry: I never had this issue when i owned one in the dez out west , it just seems to be at the sandy track in FL. Always got the tire rub on the side of he silencer, but never had the caliper to come in contact with it.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 07:13:19 AM »
I've bottomed out my suspension so bad that I blew the bumpstop out of the shock.
It felt like my fillings popped out  :-)
My arrestor has never touched the brake caliper.
I do have lots of skid marks on the inside of my fender.
Can you post some pics of your arrestor, fender, rear wheel, rear caliper areas?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 01:47:05 PM by sandblaster »
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 08:24:40 AM »
Can you post some pics of your arrestor, fender, rear wheel, rear caliper areas?

+1
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Doubleday77

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 12:18:14 PM »
I'll post some pic's tomorrow.  How do u upload onto this site?

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 12:19:48 PM »
I'll post some pic's tomorrow.  How do u upload onto this site?

this should work for you...

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,10040.0.html