Author Topic: Cleaning Pipe  (Read 2867 times)

Offline jmoney4487

Cleaning Pipe
« on: June 25, 2012, 08:23:01 AM »
I have been out of the sport for awhile and just happened to get a 2004 KX 250 through a mutual friend.  I know the silencer needs repacking, but does the pipe need to be cleaned as well?  Its an FMF Gnarly.  If its required, how would I go about cleaning it?

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: Cleaning Pipe
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 08:36:03 AM »
It's not mandatory.There's a couple/few threads on here with several differant methods that guys use.Click on the "search" option at the upper left and type in "pipe cleaning".I personally....find if it's gotten to the point where it's really bad,I just buy a new one.I don't even clean air filters...throw em out and buy new ones. :-D
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline blinkerfluid

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 07:13:36 AM »
I just recently cleaned mine out, the carbon was atleast 1/8th inch thick or more in spots, bike was run rich for awhile so it built up in there for some time.

i tried a few diffrent methods, but the one that i found to work the best (but discolored my chrome to purple/blue) is to use a blowtorch and a large air compressor with a blowing nossle attachment.

start at the headpipe where it meets the head, heat the carbon up redhot till its ready to burn, then start blowing some compressed air into the pipe (to blow the flame and heat through the pipe)

you have to make sure you dont use too much air as itll blow the blowtorch out.. and then its really hard to reignite the carbon.

its a slow process to burn it all out, but you have to do a steady burn, you can see a red ring going through the pipe, thats the carbon burning out..

after its all finished you can tap on it with a peice of wood to get any loose carbon to fall out,

it did turn my pipe blue/purple but it was free and the pipe is clean and ready to roost like new

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 04:26:05 AM »
I keep forgetting to post to this so will revive a thread to do it. if you need to clean out your pipe or heat something for stress relief find an electric motor wind shop in your area. Most will not charge much as they are already running the furnace. Big furnaces and they do 6-800 degrees for 8 hours to burn out the winding goo before removing the windings. The shop I worked in also used them for heating castings for installing bearings if they were already running. Be nothing but dust left inside.
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...

Offline staffylad

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 03:31:26 AM »
I just used abit of thinners come up lovely after a couple of hours cleaning lol use thinners on most stuff just the same as gunk but cheaper,those brands :roll: :roll: :lol: