Author Topic: 1998 KX 250 Project  (Read 7928 times)

Offline CarlS

1998 KX 250 Project
« on: March 27, 2014, 04:51:15 AM »
Hi all,

I've recently got my hands on a 1998 KX 250. Growing up as a kid these bikes were my absolute favourite, Kawasaki bike still are. I'm really pleased that I've got my hands on one to restore.The bike hasn't cost me anything to buy, its my partners younger brothers bike and he hasn't got the time or enthusiasm that I have for the bike. I was planning on doing a step by step thread of what I'm up 2on the bike, you're all more than welcome to discuss/recommend/air your positive or negative opinions on my build.

Here's where I'm at.........

Bike arrived like this

Took the motor out, removed rear shock & swing arm

I dropped the oil out whilst the motor was out and it ran out like glitter!! I took the clutch cover off just to have a look and found this.

So that's it so far.

Offline CarlS

Re: 1998 KX 250 Project
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 04:54:10 AM »
Sorry I didn't mention that I removed the 4 bolts and plates.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 04:58:24 AM »
haha...that basket is grooooovy!!!!...you could saw wood with that thing!, looks like an aftermarket....you could buy an OEM basket...part# 13095-1343 at $280.50
The inner hubs(where your bolt tower is broken off) are cheap...an OEM inner hub part# 13087-1168 at $81.22
these are through Rock Mountain ATV....if you shop around, you might find em cheaper...and then there's aftermarket of course, that'll save you a few more bucks.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 05:30:32 AM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline CarlS

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 09:04:11 AM »
Thanks for the info Foxx4Beaver, I'm in the UK so I'll try and have a look for the parts over here. haha yea it is groooovy. Think I'll go for new parts though, this one is a keeper so it'd be good to sort all the minor problem while I'm in there. :-D :-D

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 09:11:09 AM »
I had a feeling you were outside the U.S.
since you plan on keeping it...you might as well just replace all the bearings/seals the crank if still available, the entire clutch pack...etc, etc. It can get expensive...my 2000 250 motor rebuild was about $1700 all said and done, but I planned on keeping it, so it's worth every penny.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline dirk_411

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 09:21:11 AM »
Trash that basket.  Looks to grooved to use.

Motorrad

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 10:26:29 AM »
Once you get the inner hub off.    IM curious who is the manufacture of that outer basket....

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 12:15:26 PM »
Looks like a Hinson.
If it is then sometimes the anodize wear off making it look more worn then it really is.
I hope that is the case.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline CarlS

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 11:58:58 PM »
Foxx4Beaver I'm planning on changing it all whilst I'm in there. I don't want to throw huge amounts of cash at it but if it needs to be done...........

Yea I agree sandblaster, I think the basket is a Hinson possibly a used one. I'm thinking who ever put it in broke the inner hub putting it all back together.

I'm working on the bike just in my garage at the moment, going to take the motor over to the workshop in the next week or so to get into it some more  :-D

While I'm on, what do you think of powder coating/painting the frame? I'm going to keep it green, I think the frame has been previously powder coated, not sure its the original colour though there's a few different shades.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 12:04:45 AM by CarlS »

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 03:37:09 AM »
Foxx4Beaver I'm planning on changing it all whilst I'm in there. I don't want to throw huge amounts of cash at it but if it needs to be done...........

While I'm on, what do you think of powder coating/painting the frame? I'm going to keep it green, I think the frame has been previously powder coated, not sure its the original colour though there's a few different shades.

I tend to spend more than some would...as I HATE down time...but I would definitely do all the bearings and seals regardless....and then thoroughly check the entire tranny for anything questionable, you already know you need a clutch basket/inner hub...probably plates too...it's gonna get pricey if you want a reliable bike....but it is worth the money, rather than breakin down 20 miles from home or the truck.

Powder coating is the way to go if you want it to last. There's actually some members on here that do their own powder coating I think.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 06:31:41 AM »
And, if you have the cases split to replace all the bearings, replace all the snap rings on your transmission shafts.
That's really cheap insurance.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Reddy

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 08:10:20 PM »
A few weeks ago I got quoted £70 to have my frame shot blast and then powder coated.  Turned out I only had 2 little welds so just sprayed the patches.

Offline dirk_411

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 11:37:46 PM »
Pull your inner hub off and end the speculation on which basket it is.  Hinson will have there identity on it.  If its a north American basket I'd bet its wiseco,   being your from the uk im putting my money on mitaka or talon.  Heard both are soft like cheese.

Either way figure it out shouldn't be difficult.

I agree with everyone else.  Total tear down

Offline CarlS

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 07:42:09 AM »
Hi guys,

Update on the project.

The engine has now been split in half, on my way in I found a few broken bits of old clutch plates  :-o They'd been flying about in there for a while by the looks, part of the basket has been worn away and there is glitter everywhere. I have also noticed that the engine has been split in the past, it looks like some nutless monkey tried splitting it with a hammer and screwdriver!! Both of the crank cases are damaged from this.........so far not a lot has been on my side, I've also noticed after giving the cases a clean someone has completely bodged some weld in the drain plug and the correct bolt was not installed (I had a funny feeling it wasn't when I removed it). Also the clutch cable guide has a snapped off a bit (still works ok but a bit is missing).

Oh and the output drive shaft is worn where the front sprocket sits.

You know sometimes you think, ahhhhhh B***OCKS!!  :evil:

So, next step is find some crank cases. I've read on this forum that other years will fit, 97-2001 cases are the same? Seen a few on ebay that might go.

Will put a few pics up when I get chance  8-)

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 07:55:51 AM »
well that sucks!
it's definitely gonna be an expensive rebuild, and if you do decide to go forward with it...just take your time, and don't cut corners or cheese out on anything, it'll be worth it in the end! :wink:...
just for the fact that you said "glitter everywhere", is worth several "$$$$$$".

Sandblaster might be able to help with some of the parts.