Author Topic: Jetting 07 KX250  (Read 5639 times)

Offline mbrouk

Jetting 07 KX250
« on: July 15, 2013, 12:03:37 AM »
So I know elevation and climate effects what jetting is required so my question is.... If I live in Missouri what do you guys think would be the proper jet??

Offline KevinTwoStk

Re: Jetting 07 KX250
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 11:39:56 AM »
Have you read this MXA test of the '07 KX 250?

There are some jetting specs listed. Flaws are pointed out, too, as well as ways to fix them.

http://motocrossactionmag.com/Kawasaki/News/MXAS-2007-KAWASAKI-KX250-RACE-TEST-1128.aspx

Even with a base line for your jetting (stock specs) you'll need to plan on some experimentation to fine tune for your area, elevation, and riding conditions. Any suggestion for jetting is only going to be a guess, and I don't think anyone wants to recommend settings that might make your bike run badly, or worse, seize up.

One thing I've read more than once about the '05-'07 KX 250's is that they can benefit from having the cylinder head machined to slightly reduce the compression. This will make the power easier to control and make the engine less likely to ping/detonate. Another benefit is that the bike will be easier to jet with the reduced compression.

Do you have a factory owner's manual or, better yet, a factory service manual? I would get both. I have those manuals for my '00 KX 125 and each is helpful.

Offline KXDINO

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 01:24:57 PM »
Yes ,we take 4 thou off the squish band on the head with 98 octane unleaded fuel,100 leaded fuel no promblems ,but they took it of the market ,i talking australia here..we would change steering head angle as well as use longer  links ,i change to gold valve ,front and back,the std jetting is way off for our conditions as well,a full pro circuit pipe as well,was running a v3 ,but went back to stock with a set of carbon tech reeds.The v3 went through reeds fast.Not a bad bike now.

Offline motoguy46

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 07:44:13 AM »
kxdino how did you like the carbon tech reeds? what did you notice? what tension did you run? how long did they last? compared to the vf3?..ive noticed the same thing with the vf3 replacement reeds they don't seem to lay flat or last long

Offline KXDINO

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 08:24:46 AM »
The carbon tech reeds are medium tension and are lasting very well,as for how many hrs I couldn't tell you because I didn't record the hrs ,sorry but we check when we do a top end and still going strong as for the vf3 had to replace at every top end as they were chipping and it would not run as well so they sit in there box on the cupboard ,the vf3 seems to pull harder from mid to top but was to expensive to run.We also run low tension carbon tech on our kx125 08 with good results and long life,the 125 getting the rear transfer port open up by 2mm and I match the cases plus a fresh crank for its birthday.Than the 250 having it turn next,but that another story.

Offline treedodgingfool

• Dirtbike Dork
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 08:31:10 AM »
Proper jetting is a real "seat of the pants" thing.  Just like engine noises can't be diagnosed to the "T" over the internet, nor can jetting.  You can get a round-about, but like already mentioned, nobody wants to be responsible if you sieze your bike either.  It also helps if you provide your general elevation where you ride, all mods are listed including what fuel, octane and oil mixture is used.  

I have an '07 with Gnarly Pipe, Q-Silencer, Stock Reed Cage w/ Boyesen Pro reeds; jetted for sea level and 110 Leaded Race Gas mixed 36.1 w/ "Super M."  It's been so long since I jetted that bike (don't remember exactly whats in it anymore), but I had to lean the jetting out alot to compensate for the race gas light specific gravity (much lighter, flows way better then any pump, especially the E10 around here).  (believe Pilots @ 42, next step leaner needle @ 2nd position, Main I think is at 155) ...BUT, I can only use Cam2 110 leaded at this lean jetting, pump gas would turn it into a paperweight.  

Like Kevin said, with jetting, there is no "one size fits all" application.  One change at a time, read some articles on the jetting circuits and what part of the throttle range the affect prior to tinkering.  Also, it helps when new to jetting to mark the throttle positions on the inside of grip flange (closed, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full throttle), mark on the throttle housing boot the closed position.  That will give you an at glance look at which position in the throttle/rpm range is the issue (airscrew & pilot - upto 1/4, 1/4-3/4 needle, 3/4-WOT main; there's overlap as well between circuits, but this gives you the general idea to help pinpoint which circuit where you feel the bike either blubbering, breaking-up, falling flat, etc.). Always jet with and use the same fuel grade as jetted for, have a clean air filter, fresh packed silencer, mechanically sound (goes without saying) & fresh plug. Good luck!
Stay Healthy, Eat your Honey.

Offline motoguy46

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 09:08:14 AM »
thanks for the review on the carbon techs dino ,,i m going to try them next..great info on jetting tdf.. ill get back on topic tho..i would definetly drop a size pilot 48, most use 45p..i have went to 42 in summer, i easily can go to 1st clip on the needle cause of my elevation ..for your elevation you may want to put a spacer effectively making it the 1 1/2 clip position and the main really depends on your style,engine load,elevation,temp.etc team green recommends 165 and i found it to be really safe baseline if you ride fast/hard but most use 158-160and leaner ...but try leaning one step at a time ..hope this helps. imho just a good rich ballpark