Author Topic: New Parts!! Now the questions...  (Read 2757 times)

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
New Parts!! Now the questions...
« on: November 14, 2004, 02:26:15 PM »
Well, I've decided I'm burried in my KX as money wise, so why not just go ahead and jump in head first. Anyway, I've decided to turn my old KX into a race bike. Thanks for KXCam's help for jetting information, I've been pretty successful. I'm looking for ways to boost the top-end of the RPM.

I've gotten a few new parts that I have questions about though:

PVL Ignition System: Purchased and now am hoping to install this week. It is strickly ignition stuff: inner rotating flywheel, stator/plate, cdi, and coil. I'm curious if I should be careful using this system, the flywheel weighs maybe 1/3rd of the weight of my old flywheel and have heard that it really boosts the top-end by huge amounts, but curious if I need to do anything preventive ways? I just have the bike rebuilt last year or so, top and bottom. So, I don't have any doubts in it, but it does have alot of vibes, so I'm curious how this is going to work out. Any ideas or cautions?

Boyesen Rad Valve: Giving this a shot too, I purchased it and am wondering if I should change the jetting also? I ran my bike today at BuckleBerry (local drag/sand pit)and it felt a little lean, I need to change needles, but was wondering if I should just keep the jetting as is, cause of the leaness.

Thanks and I will post reviews for both once installed and perfected.

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 04:30:26 AM »
Gowen,

As you know,better rich than lean and poor(siezed expensive piston)! :lol:
Think about when you shout the throttle, no more fuel in and it will survive only with what mix(air/fuel/oil ratio) have been before.
Engine still pumping and can sieze easy caused of raised temp with less lubrication.
I have always little idle adjusted, when a race ice! :wink:

//doordie
Iceroad champion 2006,still 2007,even 2008 without a single race!

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 03:30:15 PM »
Hi Doordie, I definately plan on running a little richer in the main jet. Also, thinking of turning up the volume on the pilot. I'm at a 38 now, maybe go to a 40 and try that. Even though my Jetting is 100% on par, I should be a little more safe.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 03:02:16 PM »
Check out the difference in the size of the flywheel!! It's huge and bulky compared to the PVL. Man I don't know how I would live without it now. Notice all the grass in the frame. :-p LOL

It came with the PVL stator, PVL inner rotating flywheel, PVL CDI, and a PVL coil. It is totally worth it if you like some hit in the top-end... and I mean HIT  :shock:

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 08:38:19 PM »
gowen,
Yes it?s nice with a "green grasshopper" who can jump and hit! :twisted:
What ignition timing works best for you?
What gas(octan) do you use?
Watch up with for detonation (pinging).....until you are sure it`s okey with timing. :wink:
How it to start now?
(By the way, if you have some time off you know what to do for satisfied me):lol:  :lol:  :lol:

//doordie
Iceroad champion 2006,still 2007,even 2008 without a single race!

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2004, 03:16:54 AM »
Hi Doordie, LOL I am going to call, sorry for the delay. I've been trying to catch up on work, busy after thanksgiving.

Anyway, .090 inch. is best (2.3mm BTDC). I am using VP C12 (108 MON). I have not yet gotten any pinging and it runs nice. And starting??? HAHA, I have to jump on the kickstarter as hard as I can to get a start, but will start first kick. :-)