Author Topic: Newbie KX100 in need of help!  (Read 10560 times)

Offline smilie5768

Newbie KX100 in need of help!
« on: August 16, 2013, 05:01:46 AM »
Hey guys, thought I'd sign up on the forum for a bit of help. Managed to get myself a '93 KX100 it was awfully rattly but I went ahead and bought it anyway. A mate of mine took a quick look at it and said the big end bearings were gone. Took it upon myself as a bit of a project to repair the engine. As it stands the bike is pretty much stripped right down and the engines ready to drop out. Probably going to let the machine shop split the crank and what not, but I'll pull the case myself. Never stripped a bike engine before done a fair bit of reading in to it and I've re built a few car engines in the past, looking forward to a little project!

Lovely bike to ride, powerband properly shocked me riding it the first time!

Any help and advice appreciated!

Picture of the bike when I bought it

Video of the engine rattling away, ignore the description fairly certain of what's wrong now lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvOunSZ4l4E&feature=c4-overview&list=UUcVKAHDj7JrAqPzgX6nXwDw

I know the powerbands are common for rattling? And the stator rivets coming loose? Guess I'll find out pretty soon anway, I'll keep this thread updated as I progress, thanks in advance guys!

Offline smilie5768

Re: Newbie KX100 in need of help!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 11:06:45 AM »
Sorry for the double post

Pulled the head today, big end bearing is knackered needs new piston and rings too, got all the parts on the way have a friend who will split the crank for me and sort the new conrod. the barrel/ sleeve seems fine a bit of scoring but nothing major.

Piston is in a horrible shape.

Hoping to have the bike assembled by next weekend, my neighbour said he's recently restored one, just gave me a load of free plastics!

Offline kkvslayer

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 06:15:09 AM »
Get the pink powerband(adds 10HP) and weld the stator to the case and all that rattling will go away

Motorrad

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 02:32:54 PM »
welcome to the site.

do yourself a BIG favor.

never ever take a motor appart when its that dirty!

Offline smilie5768

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 09:54:16 AM »
Get the pink powerband(adds 10HP) and weld the stator to the case and all that rattling will go away

Rattling was definitely the bottom end and piston mate.

welcome to the site.

do yourself a BIG favor.

never ever take a motor appart when its that dirty!

Thanks! Bit late now but yeah I learnt my lesson should have cleaned it up before hand.

Bit of an update I have the case split and crank out but the bearings are stuck on the crank as I don't have a puller, any way of removing them without damaging them? Thanks.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 11:31:35 AM »
Bearing splitters are cheap but you can rent one at your local auto parts store.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Motorrad

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 06:05:00 AM »
Bearing splitters are cheap but you can rent one at your local auto parts store.

yep. work like this.        BE VERY VERY VERY carefull NOT to drag the bearing splitter down the bearing/seal surface of the crank when you press it off.  ive seen many good cranks ruined that way

« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 06:07:15 AM by Motorrad »

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 06:30:07 AM »
Cool Motorrad, never thought about using it like that.
I guess your method might provide a more even pull.
I have always used mine like this with no problems to date:

http://www.oem-cycle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=67

The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Motorrad

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 06:34:50 AM »
most of mine are swapmeet bought. and missing all the other parts,........... hence you have to be creative

Offline smilie5768

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 12:05:14 AM »
Thanks for the help guys! Rebuild is coming on great. Crank now has a new Conrod big end and small end bearings, piston and rings. Just waiting for a mate to lend his torque wrench hopefully have it running this weekend! What 2 stroke oil and bottom end oil would you recommend for the bike? A lot of conflict on the matter online so thought I'd post here. Will have more pictures soon! Cheers!

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 02:52:21 AM »

Offline smilie5768

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 12:11:53 AM »

New piston and rod.

Before and after picture guys :)

So far I've had the frame painted, Colored hoses, New big and small end bearings, conrod, piston and rings, new chain and sprocket, new levers all round, new plastics.

Needs a new rear disk and the mixture setting up and she's done!

Purchased a new chain and sprocket set today, the rear teeth are 52 whereas the old one is 48 what difference will this make to the bike? Little faster top end? More strain on the engine? Thanks for any help.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/102281132@N02/9852804254/  --- Pic of new sprocket, fits fine.

Also got new chain adjusters for the rear as the old ones were broke, where can I buy the block that sits at the back of the swing arm for the adjuster? Sure it will be easy enough to make though!