Author Topic: looking to sell one of my k5`s what is a fair price  (Read 2558 times)

Offline motovet

looking to sell one of my k5`s what is a fair price
« on: March 28, 2013, 02:59:29 PM »
I have a 1989 k5 that I am looking to sell but have no idea what to ask for it. I bought it a year ago and only used it once before getting an 03. Paid 1900 for it, a little on the high side, but that`s another story. It is in what I would call "fair" condition, starts and runs good, brakes work as they should, bearings are fine, plastic is not cracked or beat up and the fork seals and shock don`t leak. It has some usual paint wore off the frame, the kick starter is wore, and could use new levers and clutch cable to give it a fresh feel. everything looks stock besides an fmf silencer and renthal bars. I live in the central wisconsin if that means anything for pricing.

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
Re: looking to sell one of my k5`s what is a fair price
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 04:07:57 PM »
Although K5's didn't change much at all from 88 to 04, there were a few upgrades made after 89.....for one, upsidedown forks in 90, different crank and ignition in 92, and a final fork upgrade around 96.......

It would be nice to see some pictures to get a better idea of what you should ask for.  Just taking a wild guess without seeing the bike and not being able to look for common problems, I would say you should be asking around $1000-$1200.  But don't hold me to that.

I don't want to see another K5 butchered but another option would be selling just the motor, carb and electronics to someone interested in a aluminum framed project. :|
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Motorrad

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 04:12:47 PM »
Although K5's didn't change much at all from 88 to 04, there were a few upgrades made after 89.....for one, upsidedown forks in 90, different crank and ignition in 92, and a final fork upgrade around 96.......

It would be nice to see some pictures to get a better idea of what you should ask for.  Just taking a wild guess without seeing the bike and not being able to look for common problems, I would say you should be asking around $1000-$1200.  But don't hold me to that.

I don't want to see another K5 butchered but another option would be selling just the motor, carb and electronics to someone interested in a aluminum framed project. :|

better check your year's

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 04:16:12 PM »

better check your year's

Chime in then sweetie pie........I'm here to provide broad basic information and I have you here to fine tune the details.....

HAHAHAHA......I said BROAD!!!!
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline motovet

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 04:29:57 PM »
trust me usmc, I would rather keep it as a back up than part the ole` girl away. Back in the day and they were still being built it might have been a different story but  now, I would rather see it go to a good home and be enjoyed. My goal was to put it up for 1400 but don`t want to bend anyone over.