Author Topic: Finally got a kx500  (Read 3422 times)

reknelb

Finally got a kx500
« on: January 14, 2005, 08:52:12 AM »
Decided on the kx instead of the cr. Got it home last nite and its already half torn aprt. Needs to have the rear shock rebuilt, some fork seals, and it'll be ready to rock.

I've already found alot of good info from this site, thanks guys!

Offline machine

Finally got a kx500
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 11:07:14 AM »
Lets see some B 4  and after pics!!!

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Finally got a kx500
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 11:51:10 AM »
I agree with machine. I wish I had before pictures of my 87 500. Get some pictures in the gallery.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

reknelb

Finally got a kx500
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 12:35:38 PM »
Well, the before pic and after pic will look the same, except one will have a leaky shock, and the other wont. :P
I want to get it mechanically sound, then I'll start "fancying" it up. A pretty bike that dont run or turn isnt gonna do me any good. (Don't ask me how I know  :oops: ) She is a bit of an ugly duckling right now. It will definitly need some attention cosmetically in the future.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Finally got a kx500
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 12:37:44 PM »
I would still post some pictures that way you can show everybody your progress.
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com

Offline GDubb

Finally got a kx500
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 06:41:17 PM »
I'm interested in your progress too... because I hope to be in the same boat soon.  What year did you get?  How much  did you have to give up for it (if you dont mind me asking)? Or anything you would do different or inspect before buying if you had to do it again.  I'm just trying to learn as much as possible before I spend the money next month.  I am always on a really tight budget and wont have a ton of buckage to dump into a bike after I get one so anything I can learn ahead of time will be priceless for me. Thanks in advance!    -G
Rock it 'til the wheels fall off!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -

Offline GDubb

Finally got a kx500
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 06:42:52 PM »
By the way.... Congrats on the new bike!!!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -

mikesmith

Finally got a kx500
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 09:47:33 PM »
Nice!Have fun with it!

reknelb

Finally got a kx500
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2005, 12:42:00 AM »
The bike is a '90 and I got it for 1,000. The thing that sold me was how clean the engine was. The main thing I look for is how much will it take to make it a fully operational machine. If that amount plus the purchase amount add up to or less than what you can sell the bike for, then its worth considering.

Offline KXcam22

Finally got a kx500
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2005, 05:55:15 AM »
Gongrats on the bike.  If you have questions ask away. There are tons of knowledgeable people on here who are happy to help. My first hint: If you need bearings (wheels suspension etc) and seals don't go to a Kawasaki shop first. Most any bearing supply house can match up most of them (take the old ones in) and save you 60% or so.  Don't forget tp check the steering head bearings for grease. Most don't have much. Have fun. Cam.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Finally got a kx500
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2005, 10:35:56 AM »
Gdubb,

Mine is an 87 model. I paid about $300.00 to much for my bike. I also paided $1000.00 but mine was a total basket case. I have alway rode atv's and my son has been riding a 50cc dirt bike for about year a few months. I bought the bike so i could help my son start learning how to ride. This was my first dirt bike and it took only 30 seconds of cracking the throttle to get me hooked. If I had it to do over again I would like to have bought a 88 or new 500. Parts are easier to find. I would go through the whole bike for inspection. Wheel bearings, swing arm bearing, lower link bearings, lower and upper shock bearings,chain and sprockets, steering stem bearings,these are high wear items. Plactic parts are not bad for price. Try to use UFO Plast for your replacement plastic parts. They have factory looking molding. everything you need to do to the bike will not happen overnight. I have been riding and working on my bike sents last May of 2004. One thing I can say is that I have learned alot about dirt bikes from rebuilding mine. Just work alittle on improving your bike each month. Look under A.Hughes 87 KX500 Gallery. Have fun.

Here are some good resources for parts

denniskirk.com
rockymountainmc.com
allballsracing.com They have all your bearings you will need.
monkeybuttparts.com
 I have pretty much rebuilt my bike with these guy's.
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com

Rowdy-Yates

Finally got a kx500
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2005, 03:40:44 PM »
Hughes dont forget Ebay and  bikebandit.com plus support you local shop whenever possible. BTW I am a chain guide away from finishing my bike. OH and I will most likely go through the top end just to be on the safe side.

Offline GDubb

Finally got a kx500
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2005, 05:28:22 PM »
Thanks for the advice... it is very much appreciated. You guys are awesome!