Author Topic: New to Forum just bought a 08 kx500 AFC , a few questions  (Read 5037 times)

Offline chums

New to Forum just bought a 08 kx500 AFC , a few questions
« on: July 18, 2014, 01:04:30 AM »
Hi all, This is my first post. I just bought an 08 450f chassis with a 95 kx 500 motor in it. The guy I bought it from in Indiana lied to my face about several issues with the motor and now I'm pulling it out to ship out for a rebuild, top and bottom also had to buy new reeds, have a FWW ready, and a Lectron ready, as well as a hydro clutch (trying to get him to man up and split the cost of motor work??)! It was missing nuts and bolts with mismatched bolts all over and a rats nest of wiring and wire extentions all over that i'm straightening out, most of the bearings need replaced, and rear shock is leaking, i knew about these few issues going into it.

The main things I dont like about the bike are... one swing arm adjuster bolt is stripped out in the swingarm (may just find an ebay deal and replace arm. The radiators both have caps?? and he said at least one was off the original 500, I'd like to get a better radiator set up that wont require a bracket to bolt the left lower side pannel to and doesnt have two caps. The rad hoses are not set up very well in my mind and may need to redo that with new rads. The frame is a little rough on the right side swing arm bolt to clear the kicker, so I'll probably jsut try to smooth in a nice radius and try to make it look like thats how its was made?? Also the square black "electrical box" had a bolt tab on the bottom which is busted but it was zip tied to no end onto the stearing stem behind the number plate I made a temp clamp using the existing bracket holes that holds the cables and wires in that location.
Sorry for the long windedness but I race harescrambles, enduros, and ice on a new Husky 350 and have no clue what I'm doing with a KX haha but would sure appriciate any pics or suggestions!
I've been sifting through the search menu as I go trying to sort everything out! Thanks
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 10:36:10 PM by chums »

Offline Ims Roll

• Ride safe, Ride hard
Re: New to Forum just bought a 08 kx500 AFC , a few questions
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 01:30:38 AM »
sure hope you got a bloody good deal on this bike... got any pictures of what your talking about with the frame? are you saying he notched the frame around the kickstarter???
The 2-smoke runs deep in this one...

Offline chums

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 02:23:52 AM »
sure hope you got a bloody good deal on this bike... got any pictures of what your talking about with the frame? are you saying he notched the frame around the kickstarter???

They cut out where the swing arm bolt goes through the frame. There is a pocket that that bolt sits in and they cut the top of that out so when the kick starter is all the way down it wouldn't hit that part of the frame. Really considering selling the frame,swing arm and rads and buying a new one that's up to my standards. Over all the tabs and welds and mounts look good they just made some choices I wouldn't have made.

Offline don46

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 07:59:18 AM »
you do have to notch the pocket so the kick start will clear, just a slight notch not the whole thing
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline chums

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 09:22:28 AM »
Just found out who built the bike, it's someone on this site and I'll be speaking with them on Monday I hope! I stumbled across a pic and low and behold it was the bike in my garage! Kinda funny. I've seen some posts and got a better idea of what was done to the bike but want to know how it was sold to the kid I bought it from so I can keep building my case !

Offline chums

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 10:40:46 PM »
So I ended up with JHOLTs bike, after talking with him (very helpful) it seems the bike has gone through the ringer since his original build and at least two other owners. I'll be bringing it back to its old glory days lol slow but sure! Motor is in transit for a rebuild and ive been able to work on a few of the smaller items so far.