Author Topic: Useful Info for Two Stroke Tuners  (Read 3723 times)

Minnetonka_Mark

Useful Info for Two Stroke Tuners
« on: September 30, 2004, 04:00:09 PM »
I want to direct all you 2-stroke tuners to an article about an experimental big bore 2-stroke dirt bike engine developed by Honda.  This is NOT a new engine or article.  It is from a few years ago.  

In any case the article is especially useful to KX500 tuners because it explains inherent problems with the standard 2-stroke engine's combustion cycle.  The article helps me to understand some of the difficult to interpret behavior observed when comparing various jets, etc...  

Here is a one paragraph excerpt:
At small throttle openings, a conventional two-stroke will start a repeating pattern of misfiring, which allows a large amount of unburnt gas and oil to be expelled directly into the atmosphere. At these low engine speeds, the amount of fuel entering the combustion chamber is small compared to the amount of exhaust remaining, which creates a mixture that is not ignited by the spark, and is expelled directly into the exhaust system. Each time this misfire occurs, the amount of fuel remaining in the cylinder increases, until it is great enough to be ignited by the spark. When it is ignited, the cylinder is again filled with exhaust and the cycle repeats itself. By measuring cylinder pressure over time, this cycle can be seen as a pattern of regular large increases in pressure. The increases in pressure mark the points where the mixture burns; between these pressure peaks is the area where all of the fuel and oil are going out the pipe without burning, which is a major source of emissions and exhaust system contamination. As can be seen from the graph below, this cycle occurs at low and medium loads during conventional two-stroke combustion.

Check out the article. :idea:

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mchonda/exp2_tech.html

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2004, 02:51:46 AM »
Minnetonka_Mark!

Yes, there we have the clue how to make the twostroke reduce emission and be competive to fourstrokes.
When we solved that problem we have all benefits from twostroke and little or no emission.
And we will never see a fourstroke more. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

And you know guys, I repeting myself with the squishclearance,but it
works for emission too. :D  :D
Iceroad champion 2006,still 2007,even 2008 without a single race!

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004, 03:04:15 AM »
Doorde,
 I don't know if you remember the Orbital engine (australian I think)?  It was a high eff. multi-cylinder 2-stroke that was to revolutionize the auto world, then vanished.  I never knew where it went until I read a outboard motor brochure.  My neighbourhood is filled with 250hp multicylinder 2-stroke outboard engines most or all using orbital technology.  That is how most are California 2008 legal.  They must have got together as a group and bought Orbitals technology.  Neat! Cam.

mikesmith

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2004, 06:00:35 PM »
The EPA probally didnt like a clean 2 stroke.

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2004, 12:58:03 AM »
KXcam22,

I haven?t heard about this orbital engine.I will use the internet here and check it. :D

What?s EPA? :?

//doordie

Rowdy-Yates

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2004, 01:05:38 AM »
Enviromental Protection Agency. In a nut shell It is a way the Unitied states makes money off the working man.

Rick

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2004, 10:55:49 AM »
The scourge of all that is good...

Their goal?  To eliminate everything we enjoy.

mikesmith

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2004, 07:22:06 PM »
Americas a great country,but we could do with out some of the crap agencies like the EPA put out! Pure B.S.!!!

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2004, 04:32:26 AM »
Ops,sorry! :oops:  :oops:

I will never talk about EPA again! :D  :D  :D

//doordie

Rowdy-Yates

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2004, 01:06:47 PM »
You would not believe our local laws due to these jerks. We have a red sticker (only ride on certian times of the year) Green sticker (can ride anytime of the year). Some off road parks here have a decibal limit sticker(if you dont meet the sound requirement you cannot ride. Which i have not seen a 2 stroker meet yet).  They just want to shut us down all together. They have almost shut a shop down next to a offroad park(Carnegie) off of I-5 due to the sound limit. Which is next to a highway no homes just cars. Plus Hollister is an awsome place DOH sound limit again. I must live in CA!

Offline demographic

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2004, 07:53:39 AM »
Quite a lot of general two stroke information can be found if you go to this page and scroll downhttp://www.macdizzy.com/2stroke.htm  :)

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2004, 11:04:15 PM »
demographic,

I`m member,hehe  :D

//doordie

Offline demographic

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2004, 07:14:29 AM »
Quote from: doordie
demographic,

I`m member,hehe  :D

//doordie

I was untill I had to pay, and although I fully intend to pay I never seem to get round to doing it via paypal :?

I really should cos the forum is an excellent source of two stroke information.