Author Topic: 2001 KX250 Reeds  (Read 4714 times)

Offline Burnt1Dragon

2001 KX250 Reeds
« on: October 28, 2012, 02:02:47 AM »
Hello again Friends,

I've been meaning to ask this question since I freshened up the to end of my KX a while back.  The reeds that came with my bike (used), have Carbon Fiber reeds.  They are "single stage" and by that I mean just one set of petals per side (top and bottom), not 2 layers.  Is this OEM for this vintage bike?  I expected Fiber Glass.

I am going to buy new reeds.  Any preference between the Boyesen Dual Stage (Fiber Glass) which I run in my '97. Or the Boyesen Pro (Dual Stage Carbon top Petal over Fiber Glass bottom petals per openning)?

Thanks Again Folks!
Mike

Offline motoguy46

Re: 2001 KX250 Reeds
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 06:25:02 AM »
most modern kx250 's come with single stage  carbon reeds stock (oem)..they seem to work good but commonly they chip on the edges then they run poorly.
I have been happy with boyesen pro reeds and you might find the power reeds have slightly better low-end throttle response and power 
most importantly make sure they lay flat on the cage,make sure the screws don't back out into your engine..check boyesen.com for baseline jetting  for your bike/reeds

good luck

Offline Burnt1Dragon

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 11:49:06 PM »
Thanks motoguy46,
One other question for y'all. Does anybody or everybody put a threadlocking compound on the threads of Reeds mounting screws?

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 01:33:27 AM »
Thanks motoguy46,
One other question for y'all. Does anybody or everybody put a threadlocking compound on the threads of Reeds mounting screws?

I'm not sure about everyone else...but I certainly do!!
I use Blue Loctite,never had a problem.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Burnt1Dragon

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 11:58:28 AM »
Thanks ^. I pulled the cage out and applied loctite to the threads. I only asked because I noticed none was applied to rhe screws I removed.

I went for Boyesen Dual Stage Pro Reeds. I gotta say they do exactly as desbribed by the company. Better torque down low and better over-rev! One thing I did notice as well is a smoother transition into the power band. But when it comes on + traction, that front tire wants to come up off the ground. Love these reeds!

In comparison to the Dual Stage Fiberglass reeds I installed on my other KX, I found it has way more torque down low, the "hit" is earlier and has way less over-rev. Mind you its a 1997 motor. Equally "fresh" rebuild but the tranny ratios are different and final drive ratio on the '97 is steeper than that of my '01.

Offline motoguy46

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 02:23:53 PM »
i  use blue  loctite as well

Motorrad

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 03:22:59 PM »
Since I yamabond every intake spot.   I just give em a quick dab of yamabond.     Holds better than when I loctited them.   ;)