Author Topic: Jetting for 90 ft above sea level  (Read 2161 times)

Offline Plymouthrider

Jetting for 90 ft above sea level
« on: September 03, 2012, 07:33:46 AM »
Hi again, does anyone know what jets would be best for my 2000 KX500?  Pilot, main, needle clicks, etc...

My elevation is 90 feet above sea level.

Appreciate any advice, and I don't mind if you yell at me for not searching !!   :-D

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: Jetting for 90 ft above sea level
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 07:48:04 AM »
As a starting point my info says the following:
59-80 degrees F
58 pilot
Needle clip 3rd position
Main jet 168
Of course this is only a starting point.
Nothing beats getting some fresh plugs, jets, cleaning your air cleaner, and working out the correct jetting for your environment, engine condition, and riding style.
I along with another member are currently writing a jetting article.
It takes a while to put it together in a organized way that is easy to understand.
We should have it done in a few weeks.
SB
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Plymouthrider

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 07:50:45 AM »
Thanks Blaster, I m gonna order some jets and do some tuning. I got the oem pipe with fmf power core.

Offline greencannon

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 11:18:01 AM »
I run a 58, 168, and 3rd slot on stock needle. I think im a little higher elevation than you ( a little further inland)
but i mostly fine tune with the air screw depending on the days weather condition. Ive tried a little leaner on the pilot (55) during the hot temps and played with needle
but results didnt seem worth the effort. that big KX motor seems to like being a tad rich rather than real crisp or lean.
I try to be consistent on where i buy my fuel and also on premix habits. Im sure with all the mods others here are doing
jetting probably gets a little more attention

Offline Plymouthrider

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 11:14:59 AM »
Ok thanks fellas.  I believe the 168 and 58 and 3rd clip are what comes with the bike, according to the owner's manual.