Author Topic: Can I run tube type tire tubeless?  (Read 7302 times)

Offline Dan Clarke

Can I run tube type tire tubeless?
« on: August 13, 2012, 06:15:32 PM »
Hi,

New guy to the site.

Intended to post my info in the "introductions" section, and will, but I came upon a question maybe someone here has had some experience with, and thought I'd just dive in with a question.

I'm putting 17" wheels on my KX500, for street use only, and since the wheels are for tubeless use I'm wanting to run tubeless.

Trouble is, the tire I want to use in front is a tube type tire. I didn't notice till after I decided on it and ordered it.

What's different about the bead area between the two? Tire bead? Wheel bead seat?

If it matters, the tire is a Shinko E705 120-90/17, and the wheel is a J 17XMT2.50 from a 1992 Yamaha XJ600.

I know tubeless tires have an inside layer to retain air, but wonder about how quickly the air will be leaking out of a tube tire without a tube. Could that be the only difference between tube or tubeless tires?

Anybody have experience doing this?

I've read a number of admonitions against it but not even one from someone who actually tried it. Only repeats of what the tire company says, etc.,etc..

Thanks,

Dan

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: Can I run tube type tire tubeless?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 03:45:32 AM »
Hi Dan and welcome to the site.
I have never tried it but I'm sure someone on here has.
Just be patient as many are out enjoying the good weather.
Post some pics of your ride when you get the chance.
SB
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 04:38:02 AM »
I fall into the haven't done it category but I would think the porosity of  the rubber is the difference.  Since the tube is holding the air they aren't as concerned about the tire holding the air in.  I bet you could look inside the tube type tire and a tubeless tire and see a difference.
KX 500 Rider

Motorrad

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 05:40:47 PM »
I run the "tubliss"  (yes its a company) product on my dirt tires.

Just got back from a just over a month long trip... that spanned about 5600 miles of OFF ROAD..  using these in TUBE type offroad tires..    that DIDNT LEAK ONE BIT!..

that is as far as porosity goes...   now Bead design is another thing you need to look into..   tube beads arnt designed to seat like Tubless beads..

Offline Dan Clarke

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 08:52:23 PM »
I'm encouraged about it holding air after hearing about your experience with the Tubliss.

Years ago I stumbled onto some info about the bead area of rims sloping either to, or away, from the outside depending on whether it was tubeless or not. For the life of me. I can't find that info now.

I did find some posts on another forum, just today, dicsussing running the same tube type tire I have, tubless, without problems.

I'm involved in moving myself about 800 miles and most of my equipment is stored in trailers till I get a floor poured in my horse barn come shop, so my project will probably drag out for some time, but when I have my tires in the same place (both E705 Shinko's, front a 120 tubed and rear a 130 tubeless I'll get some measurements and pictures if there is any discernable difference between the bead shape of them, and report back.

Thanks to all,
Dan

Motorrad

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 12:05:43 AM »
just curious why you want to go tubliss?

I run tubes in my supermoto setup.. and they work great..    can air down to sane pressure for a 215LB bike..         Pressures that im Not sure Id want to on a tubless tire.

I do recal somthign on bead angle..   Ill ask around... and see if my brain caughs up that info or not.

Offline Dan Clarke

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 06:16:41 AM »
I'm just going to ride it on the street, which includes unpaved streets in AZ.

I like being able to plug a nail hole instead of dismounting the tire to patch a tube.

Using tubless wheels with the safety beads is good too.

Dan