Author Topic: yz85 oil question  (Read 24244 times)

Offline royceymon@hotmail.co.uk

Re: yz85 oil question
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2012, 09:02:26 AM »
had a look ,could not see alot wrong to be honest ,didnt know if it was a reflection but it looked like the piston is picking up on the bridge ,exhaust port looked quite clean .
could even be the bike hasnt had a prolonged ride to truly warm up especialy if your only going round the garden/down drive ,you realy need to get it on a track ,make sure you check the plug when run could be weak now with the main jet lower!

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2012, 02:59:05 AM »
Well when I go up the street on it, I go in 6th gear half throttle usually...I actually plan on riding on a track and offroading when im 16 or 17 when me or my friends can drive...would I even be able to ride the 85 class at that age? I think im gonna just try emptying the gas in the tank ( not a lot in there) and mixing up a 50:1 and trying it? The bike also smokes a lot but you guys say its from my cheap oil mix. Should I try to buy better oil and see if theres no spooge left? Send me over things to try and what to buy hehe that rhymes. Should I buy a new plug and new packing for the bike, although I dont wanna buy 15 dollar packing and have it get ruined again from oil...

I just ordered a box of 4 new b9eg plugs for it which its been running this whole time from my local shop and theyll be in on monday... Should I just try my best to clean the old packing and the whole exhaust of oil and put the new plug in and put it all together and see how it does? I dont mind a little oil but its giving off a TON!

CHris
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 04:06:27 AM by chris-mets »
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2012, 09:14:06 PM »
wouldnt worry about the packing ,the only difference will be the noise , i wouldnt run 50:1 bit weak i always run 40:1 ,get the best 2t oil you can afford , fresh high octane fuel ,up the street will not achieve a fair result need to ride it as it was designed for realy, without being rude i think you need someone/dad to look at it thoroughly ! hope you get it sorted.

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2012, 01:48:49 AM »
My dad isnt into any of this stuff and he doesnt know really anything about it either haha. Ive been learning on my own. Ill search for really good oil for my kx and yz...Ive been running the same mix in my kx and yz so ill look for oil and ill buy 10 dollar packing.

Thanks
Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2012, 02:02:52 AM »
years ago when i had an x7 with microns on it i used to use loft insulation !!!!

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2012, 05:41:46 AM »
did it work? I have extra insulation to my house that I can use...does it work?

Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2012, 12:00:11 PM »
Hey guys,

I tried the house insulation and it works great! This is what I did to my bike and how it is now:

same jets and settings...turned up idle a little
same 32:1 mix that I never took out or did anything
new house insulation packing
cleaned the exhaust as best as I could
put another air filter that I had to the bike with less oil on it
new spark plug

It now has barely any spooge at all and stays running. Im talking theres only 1 tiny drip at the end which im loving now! Hopefully it doesnt come back when the packing is soiled again. The only problem now when I gunned the bike up the street and I was going through the high gears, when you give it more throttle it kind of jumps back a little(misses and acts like it hits a wall then continues) and im not talking about backfiring. its like your trying to give more throttle and its giving jolts of holding back...I was looking on google and am I right that this is a rich main jet?

I should check the plug color tomorrow

Thanks
Chris
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 12:13:35 PM by chris-mets »
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2012, 08:56:01 AM »
Still didnt get to checking the plug color but could it be a rich main or should I drop the needle clip to the 2nd position again from the 1st?
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2012, 10:35:48 AM »
Still having the engine cutting out? any ideas?

Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline crazyolbastard

« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2012, 04:30:00 AM »
Also the oil that drips out of the exhaust looks kind of wet but people say this is carbon mixing with the oil or something...

I tried to look for a cheap compression tester on ebay but couldnt find one on the cheap side. I have no problem purchasing new rings for the bike then putting em on but I dont want to if its not needed. Anyone on here have a compression tester I could borrow and ill pay shipping or any other ideas?

Thanks sandblaster

I found a cheap comp tester.
It was on e-bay and cost about $20.00 if memory serves me.
I will look for the site if that is in your price range.
Crazy Ol Bastard

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2012, 08:49:00 AM »
Thanks but I had already picked one up on ebay and the compression is on the high side! I fixed that issue with the oil and theres no more oil. Only problem now is the cutting out while giving gas. Im wondering if I go bigger or smaller main or clip, etc. Thanks
Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline Sapper

« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2012, 05:23:49 AM »
Well lurking though here, I have to jump in. I'd seen on page 3 a compression test was done and spec'd out at 120psi and no one caught it. That's way too low. 150 is about the time to change rings or topend. Good averages for a test is about 185-205. Did you hold throttle WOT while kicking?

Not that you're fighting a sputtering issue, move the clip up on the needle. If it gets better then it still does it even on the top position, you may need a different needle. It's not uncommon to replace the needle. Just most don't need it for a decent jetting tune on a stock or piped motor.

here's a little something funny with a 125 with 65psi compression.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e7n0lCDYxE

Offline KevinTwoStk

« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2012, 07:50:35 AM »
Old thread...new questions.

Is there a power valve on that YZ? If the power valve isn't working as it's supposed to, it could contribute to the poor performance you're experiencing.

What about the crank seals? If the clutch side crank seal is toast, you could get plug fouling and oily spooge in the exhaust even if your jetting is perfect. Side note:if the magneto side crank seal is similarly damaged, you'll get a lean condition instead.