Author Topic: Pipe dent removal  (Read 4669 times)

Offline 81cr450

Pipe dent removal
« on: April 14, 2012, 06:54:05 AM »
I need some input on pipe dent removal. I've done it before with banshee pipes & had good luck, but the big bore pipe's tend to spit out my end plugs, due to larger area more pounds per sq".I'll have to revise them for sure, I'm thinking of lathing a barbed edge in the plug to the to help hold the hose on the plug. Makes you about crap your pant when they POP free.
What I do is use regulated compressed shop air, 40-60psi, & then put a mild torch flame to the dent & heat till it comes back out. The problem is as you heat the pipe the air in it expands increasing the air pressure in the pipe, which in turn makes me severely nervous of the metal blowing up in my face before the plugs spit out. The cpi I just dented is extra thick compounding my concern as I know the pressure is going to have to be higher to relieve the dent.
Basically what I need to know is, is my technique sound, how much pressure till the pipe blows through, how much pressure are other guys using. I realize I'm probably over thinking this but when you have 80-100psi under cherry red metal that your staring at...
Thanks for any input
if I only had a pair, I could actually ride this thing

& to the people I like  FYYFF

Offline royceymon@hotmail.co.uk

Re: Pipe dent removal
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 07:25:50 AM »
i have a blow out kit ,i use about 40-50 psi and oxy acet beyond cherry red to more on the yellow side ,i always wear eye protection ,the kit bolts on opposed to push in bungs easy enough to make ican post a photo if required.
on the heat front i watch as i heat the pipe as it doesnt always need the same heat,also you can only get away with heating the same spot twice then it deteriates.

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 10:40:06 AM »
I'd definitely take some pics. Always easier to copy than create from scratch. The set up I've used before is just heater / radiator hose with aluminum plugs attached with hose clamps. Thanks for the help & input

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 10:46:41 AM »
maybe Joe can chime in. (JOKO,  I believe)
He does this stuff, so if you have any trouble contact him.        http://www.fusiononeusa.com
He did my SPES pipe for my KX500 some time ago and I was really pleased for the price.  For those of you that dont know how rare it is to find one of these, I was happy he was able to get it back in order.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

Offline Dutch-K5 Fan

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 08:04:09 PM »
If you look at Mx24.com, motorcross, spareparts,exhaust, pipe repair.(sorry cant copy link om my phone).
I have somewhere a same kit, it use a valve from a tubeliss tire.
You can heat the spot and than pressure the pipe, the safe way. Or first pressure than heat.

Had once that I made the spot to hot that it blow open. I use the first option since.
There are been more company's who made these kits, Doma, UFO,TMV(dutch brand) and more.

Dutch
Proud owner of a KX500AF

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 11:13:44 PM »
I need some input on pipe dent removal. I've done it before with banshee pipes & had good luck, but the big bore pipe's tend to spit out my end plugs, due to larger area more pounds per sq".I'll have to revise them for sure, I'm thinking of lathing a barbed edge in the plug to the to help hold the hose on the plug. Makes you about crap your pant when they POP free.
What I do is use regulated compressed shop air, 40-60psi, & then put a mild torch flame to the dent & heat till it comes back out. The problem is as you heat the pipe the air in it expands increasing the air pressure in the pipe, which in turn makes me severely nervous of the metal blowing up in my face before the plugs spit out. The cpi I just dented is extra thick compounding my concern as I know the pressure is going to have to be higher to relieve the dent.
Basically what I need to know is, is my technique sound, how much pressure till the pipe blows through, how much pressure are other guys using. I realize I'm probably over thinking this but when you have 80-100psi under cherry red metal that your staring at...
Thanks for any input

How big is your freezer ? Fill the pipe with water, and place in the freezer. Dent will be forced out. May take a few tries, but usually 80% of the dent will be gone. If your freezer is too small and if you can wait, do it this winter !
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 11:50:21 PM »
A friend I grew up with through school and riding has a machine/welding shop,and a bunch of us bring pipes to him to pull dents out.He tack welds a nut to the center of the dent,screws in the bolt,then heats up the dent til it JUST starts to glow,then grabs the bolt head with the claw of a 28oz Estwing hammer(because it's long for leverage),and the dent comes right out.Then take a chisel and one or two whacks knock the nut off,give the pipe surface a quick touch up with the grinder,and done.Total time...5-7 minutes depending how severe the dent is.....but if I ever had one that bad,I always bought a new one.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 04:53:48 AM »
Awesome, thanks for all the input. More than one way to skin a cat.

I like the freezer thought as it sounds easy , aside from the patience. Also sounds like it would'nt degrade the metal as much.

As well as heat the dent & pull with a hammer. I have a stud welder / slide hammer that I tried once but I didnt to heat the metal to make it pliable. Probably wouldnt even have to pull it off the bike.

And.   You can heat the spot and then pressure the pipe, the safe way.  Thats the step I was missing.

Offline joko

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 02:13:08 PM »
Hi guys ... be careful !! The pipes can easily blow up in your face if too much pressure is used, if there's residual oil or gas mixture in the pipe, or the sheet metal is thinned out from the forming operation at manufacture, or if the welded seams are faulty. The resulting explosion will burn you, there are hot carbon particles coating the inside wall of the pipe fly out and embed into your skin for good, the noise of the explosion can hurt your hearing and the concussion of the blast can dislocate your jaw and ruin the cartilige in the joint. Even with a face sheild and safty glasses.
 Also, don't try the freezer method ... it will split the seams or sheet metal and require additional welding to fix it ... we see it all the time.
 Give a call if you have any questions ... Joe, Fusion One Pipe repair, 860-992-4377

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 02:18:01 PM »
Thanks Joe nice to know my concern wasnt unfounded. I also know about carbon stain. Have a few holes that have been stiched up with the black tattoo.