Author Topic: finally!  (Read 3923 times)

Offline ramblnman

finally!
« on: April 07, 2012, 11:02:42 AM »
mostly been a road warrior except back in the day when my big brother bought a maico 250 and that i used to ride..also had a hodaka 100 :-D as well as a 89 cr125 .....got to reminiscing of the days of old and decided to get a dirt bike!well finally found me a worthy steed!!!.. been looking for a while.. lot of junk and scammers out there but patience paid off..1 guy jerked me around on a 98 kx500 for 2 weeks ,lost his phone...blaaah,blaah,blaah!!and finally told me he isnt selling it!! went out and bought a 2000 honda cr 250 ..then he calls me back and says he will! aghhh!so a few days later a sweet 2000  kx 500 shows up on ebay  came from a nice guy that turned out to be from my state..sealed the deal and it now resides at my house..been sitting a few years but it is a low hour bike. so now i am going thru it,was running rich ,would not idle,then noticed gas from the overflow tube! draining the gas,cleaning the carb(ordering new inlet needle) and will set the float height..anyway.. look foward to learning a lot from you people in the future on these great bikes!!is the original service manual still available for this? if so i need a part number for it if anyone has it..
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 11:06:17 AM by ramblnman »

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: finally!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 11:08:38 AM »
Is that the one from Norfolk,MA?
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline ramblnman

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 11:09:35 AM »
yep!!

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 11:17:42 AM »
cool,I thought about taking a ride to look at it...I'm about an hour away in Plymouth.It supposedly sat for 10 years in a barn,and that's what turned me away from it.I just dropped $3500 in mine,and just did'nt want to go through all that again.Are you gonna tear that thing down first to be sure it's not corroded internally....I would,but that's me.

Congrats though...that is a nice looking ride!!
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline ramblnman

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 11:26:35 AM »
did not plan on tearing it apart.. it was full of oil.. i think it will be ok... will dump the oil after every ride for a while  just in case

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 11:34:40 AM »
I'm not trying to discourage you,but 10 years is a long time for any motor to sit,and being full of oil does'nt keep the crank bearings from pitting up,and seals getting dry.And it's not just the motor,but the suspension too...shock and fork seals,again,I'm not trying to discourage you,but if it was me,I would tear it right down to bare frame and go over everything...then you KNOW everything is up to par and not gonna have any failures....Foxx

Offline ramblnman

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 11:52:24 AM »
i thought of the teardown but the man i bought it from raced in two practices and two races after he got it from the original owner.. seems so that something would of reared its ugly head...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 11:54:23 AM by ramblnman »

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 12:07:45 PM »
I wish I could say I agree with that....but 2 practices and 2 races does'nt equal much time...maybe an hour and a half at best.But if you feel confident,then good luck,hope it works out for you!.

Offline ramblnman

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 04:12:14 AM »
thanks  foxx for your advice..hope i dont regret taking it!

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 04:48:27 AM »
you can never regret tearing a bike down,especially one purchased used.Otherwise not only do you take your life into your own hands,but someone elses hands also.In my eyes,it's not worth the risk.And who knows,it might be fine,but atleast that way YOU know it's good to go.The LAST thing you want is any kind of failure on a high speed run,or worse...on the face/take off from a jump!!

Offline Swe_K5_89

• >> KX500 -89 <<
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 05:12:35 AM »
Looks nice! Good luck!
1989 KX500
1981 YZ465