Author Topic: KX 500 newb.  (Read 1894 times)

Offline Derekfumi

KX 500 newb.
« on: March 25, 2012, 10:45:08 PM »
I'm new to the KX world because this is my first KX. I've been riding mostly street for 20 yrs but came across an 87 KX 500 for $200 and couldn't pass it up. It was neglected bad but thought the price was worth the risk. Can I get your honest opinion and ask if it's worth putting the money in the motor because I see some parts are discontinued. Thanks for any advice.

Offline turdle

Re: KX 500 newb.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 01:32:56 AM »
where did you steal that one from? :mrgreen: you can get most parts new or aftermarket  to rebuild it. what you cant get new,either ebay or craigslist has been good luck for me.

Offline Derekfumi

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 04:43:16 AM »
I originally went to look at a 89 KX 125 he had for sale but right before I got there he sold it. I was kinda ticked off because I didn't know anyone else called on it and I was 5 minutes away when he sold it. While I was there he said I also have a KX 500 for sale. My frown turned upside down after hearing that. He was asking $250 for it but it needed a ton of work so I offered him $200 and he said thats fine with him. He was selling a few of his projects to make room for newer ones. I'm just worried about transmission parts. I see you can get pretty much everything else. Do you know if a newer countershaft will fit he older model? It looks similar but uses a circlip instead of a nut. I'm also from Ohio.

Offline runabout

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 09:03:33 AM »
Congrats on the score... you will love the finished product...