Author Topic: front forks  (Read 3657 times)

Offline concave3

front forks
« on: September 21, 2011, 04:14:22 PM »
well I ended up taking my forks off, and after I finally got them back on they wont hardly budge, just like a steel rod as forks... when my brother was taking them off he was spinning them in one direction to get them out of the clamps, I dont know if this tightened the springs and now I have to take them off again or spin them back? I dont know much about forks, so if theirs anybody who knows them like the back of their hand could they please chime in... and they are conventional forks... thanks!
rallyripper

Offline jonny500

Re: front forks
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 06:07:16 PM »
try loosening the front wheel spindle/axle. if its a pre 89 bike it should have 2 clamps with 4 10mm nuts. why did you take the forks out what did you do to them

Offline concave3

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 06:58:06 AM »
I took the fork boots off to give to my bro for his project bike... I plan on getting some new ones... I guess ill just do some more tinkering...
rallyripper

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 07:11:31 AM »
It's easy to get the forks "bound up".   
 maybee loosen the axel clamps like Johnny said and the axel itself and see if you get anything moving.
    I'll look for a video of how to service the forks.
   Tuck\o/ 

This will explain how the axel float will bind the fork.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siSIue3IWeI&feature=player_embedded
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 07:22:44 AM by Friar-Tuck »
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline concave3

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 02:56:33 PM »
thanks very much! that video did some good explaining... I didnt really believe that the axle could be the problem until the mechanic at my local bike shop told me that its probably the axle and how things can get bent easy with the conventional forks... Ill take the wheel off and mess with the forks and the axle and get it all straigtened up and hopefully I didnt bend anything... thanks abunch!

heres a little sneak peak lol

rallyripper

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 05:29:26 PM »
 Your Bike looks good from here Bro!  :-D
     You probably just have to loosen up the axel and the four nuts on the "Cap" that the axel rides in.
Well...lets hope that's what it is....  otherwise I don't think I would have a Clue! :-o
   Tuck\o/

Offline concave3

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 07:47:01 AM »
thanks! yea Im gonna work on it today ill let ya know how it goes...
rallyripper

Offline concave3

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 06:16:03 PM »
well my left fork was too far left on the axle, I just loosened the clamp and the fork sprung back... I snugged up the axle clamp and now the forks work like a dream! thanks for the info! I also got my subframe straight, just need an aluminum welder to re-weld the bar that connects the two haves of the subframe... the only way to get the frame on strait was to cut that bar out... well anyways my bike should be done by next week and ill go over all the things I did to it!
rallyripper

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 08:05:56 PM »
Whew,  Glad to hear the forks are working nicely again!
   The subframe won't be a biggie for some who knows what they are doing.  Finding an honest Joe may prove to be the
hardest part of the project..
  Tuck\o

Offline concave3

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 04:54:53 PM »
well not only did I find an honest joe, he did a great job, put in reinforcements and he did it all for FREE! he told me to just take it, and that it wasn;t a big deal! I was stoked! only thing im waiting on now is my front number plate and shes gunna be complete!
rallyripper

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 09:45:17 PM »
 Alright!
  It's nice to be able to finally see some Good things happening...
     Thanks for reporting back CC3,  little things like this story is what helps me Keep the faith!  :lol:
   Tuck\o/