Author Topic: Rear brake upgrade  (Read 5501 times)

Offline Verde Grande

Rear brake upgrade
« on: August 08, 2011, 03:43:04 PM »
Hey gang,
So I have a decent front brake set-up (big rotor, CR master cylinder and hose) and now
I want to boost the rear some.

I saw this thread and this is exactly what I want to do. Easy and cheap bolt on mod.
http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,6660.0.html

Would anyone care to hazard a guess as to what caliper this is? Or another two piston model that will bolt right on?

Offline Verde Grande

Re: Rear brake upgrade
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 01:02:16 PM »
I think I've found it. I picked up a right front caliper from a Honda CBR600 F2 and after a little
grinding of the carrier, it slipped right on. I'll test it tomorrow.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 04:42:46 AM by Chip Morton »

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 02:01:25 PM »
Is it possible for you to show what part you ground?
Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 08:01:51 PM by sandblaster »
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 06:03:11 PM »

Excellent!
  Thanks Chip, This would be a great find. 
  Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Motorrad

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 12:17:08 AM »
You have my attention..

Offline 1989kawasaki

• my 89 cr250
    • youtube
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 01:25:02 AM »
just incase you guys didnt know ,but this cbr600 has 2 calipers on the front and the one in the picture is the right side one
bikes

1977 RD400
1989 CR250
1988 CR500
1978 Z50
2009 Harley super glide custom

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 04:13:00 AM »
Don't know if i would be putting a ton of time and effort into modding KX rear brakes (unless like a S/M bike or something ) The rear brakes have always been adequate IMO. HOWEVER the front KX brakes.... they have always been spongey and sub-par.... 
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 05:25:08 PM »
My rear brakes are like a light switch, on or off. There is no slow down easy. I can just imagine what a 2 piston caliper would be like. lol

Nice find though.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline Verde Grande

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 08:07:10 PM »
Is it possible for you to show what part you ground?
Thanks!

Will do. Give me a few days to get my butt around to shooting some photos.

My rear brakes are like a light switch, on or off. There is no slow down easy. I can just imagine what a 2 piston caliper would be like. lol

Nice find though.
Don't know if i would be putting a ton of time and effort into modding KX rear brakes (unless like a S/M bike or something ) The rear brakes have always been adequate IMO. HOWEVER the front KX brakes.... they have always been spongey and sub-par.... 
The rear brake has always bugged the crap out of me on this bike. I tried bleeding, fluid, pads and it always just feels weak as hell. I'm hoping this will help.  BTW, I didn't have a chance to go riding today so I'll have to report back after the weekend.

Cheers!!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 08:11:59 PM by Chip Morton »

Motorrad

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 12:12:55 AM »

I would love more rear brake on my Kx....     With the 2008 Kx450 stopping power in the front of mine now... the rear is lacking...

especially on the street in SUMO trim..

Offline Verde Grande

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 03:45:31 PM »
Went racing today at an SRA GP at Glen Helen. I like this set-up soooooooo
much better than stock!! Works great for me! Got 1st Vet Am, btw.   :-D

As far as getting it to fit, I had to grind the carrier in the spots shown. On my '98, there's a boss at the back of the caliper where the caliper guard bolts into. That got cut off and ground down. Then in the middle, that got some material taken away. I also had to do some grinding of the pads themselves on the forward corner. Just a little bit to clear the carrier.

Then on the caliper itself, I had to grind to gain some clearance for the disk. The caliper grabs the disk about 10mm lower into the disk but any loss in leverage is more than offset by the increase in caliper power. Yes, I had to take out that steel shim piece that sits up in there and yes, it drags a touch more than I would like.

Also, I had to grind a bit of the caliper where the brake hose comes in so that I
could get a little clearance to fit a hose on the bleeder valve. Sorry for not taking a photo of that. I'll try to remember next time I'm at the garage.

Overall I'm calling this mod a major improvement and for $40.00, a smoking deal.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 05:41:16 PM by Chip Morton »

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 06:40:33 PM »

Hey Chip Thanks for taking the time to take the photo's, post them, and write up on what it took to get everything
working.    Time is a precious commodity for alot of us, Thanks again.

AND  Congratulations! on the win at the Races!

Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline don46

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 05:13:31 AM »
Braking makes a 4 piston oversized rotor setup for the 500, or I should say did make a setup. I think I posted some pictures sometime ago as doordie was looking to improve his brakes.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline Verde Grande

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 04:14:21 AM »
Hey all,
So here's where I had to grind the caliper to get the banjo fitting to mover a little in order to get a hose on the bleeder.

Here you can see where the pads grabs rotor a little lower. Like I said though, it's not an issue.