Author Topic: KX 500  (Read 6032 times)

Offline Bandit

Re: KX 500
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 10:04:03 AM »
I haven't decided how far the rebuild will go, but just to make sure my wife couldn't change her mind I took all of the bodywork off as well as the sub fram.  I will be taking the suspension to RG3 for a full rebuild/revalve with new springs first.  Once that is done I will have the motor completely rebuilt but will more than likely keep it as close to stock as possible.  I'll check all bearings/bushings and take care of them while the bike is apart.  I still haven't decided though if I will strip it all the way down and do a complete resto on the bike.  With everything I have going on I just don't see myself having that kind of time and I am afraid if it gets too involved I won't get it up and running by the next riding season.

Either way, I'm stoked that it will be staying with me.

Offline PowerFiend

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 11:35:39 AM »
Snoopjonnyjon - that was exactly what I needed!  lmao!!!

Well, my wife, who I said totally gets it, sent me an email this morning saying she thinks I should keep the KX.  She then proceeded to give me her top 10 reasons why I should keep it, almost suggesting that I was the one that wanted to get rid of it.  lol's   Anyhow, she said she knew I was going to want to keep it the minute she saw me loading it up on Friday to take it out with us.  She then said everytime I came back from a ride I was smiling and talking about what an awesome bike it still is.  Her #1 justification for keeping it?  Our 5 year old told her she really likes the green one.

Her closing statement - can Pro Circuit freshen the motor up for you so you don't have to worry about it?  RG3 did such a great job on the suspension for your street bike, weren't they mainly a dirt bike suspension company?  You should get the suspension rebuilt too.

I'm sitting here, scratching my head, trying to figure out how I got this one so right.  Looks like I may be looking at a rebuild over the summer.

:-o That's a keeper right there and I don't mean the bike.

Does she have a sister?  :evil:

Motorrad

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2011, 05:31:39 PM »
i hope that motorad is kidding with the wife comment. i know my wife is irreplacable and is absolutely the best. i think most of us are in the same situation with our wives, they have different likes than we have, that's just the way it is. take the initiative to find some side work or work overtime to make the extra money and keep the bike. maybe she will see that it means alot to you.

Yes I was kidding...

Mine is a keeper also..

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2011, 11:10:23 PM »
the closest i come to letting it go is when excessive cartwheeling wrenches the bars from my hands....
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline Bandit

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2011, 02:45:38 AM »
Yep, but her sister doesn't like dirt bikes and is a bit of a loony tune.  She is good looking though.   :-D

Update:  Forks and shock are now off the bike.  I'll be dropping them off at RG3 sometime next week.

Offline Enginerd

• Big Bore Addict!
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2011, 01:17:54 PM »

....And I love the OLD ergos better than the new bikes... reason I have mine..
I agree!

I keep thinking of building a 500SF, but I keep reminding myself that the big, roomy, (somewhat dated :roll:) ergos of the original KX 500 suit me and my style of riding.  A little suspension work and they are truly, still a great bike!

Offline crazyolbastard

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2011, 10:47:23 AM »
Happy Birthday
Crazy Ol Bastard

Offline snoopjonnyjon

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2011, 10:53:06 AM »
Yep, but her sister doesn't like dirt bikes and is a bit of a loony tune.  She is good looking though.   :-D

Beggers can't be choosers! Send her my way.