Author Topic: Suspension Noise  (Read 2038 times)

Offline dmazz71

Suspension Noise
« on: June 04, 2011, 01:32:16 AM »
Hi,

I'm a recent owner of an 03 500 and noticed a squeaking noise (when I sat on the bike) that was coming from the suspension after I washed the bike.  Could this mean one of the bearings is going or could this be normal? 

The noise when away after it dried and all of the components on the suspension feel great otherwise.

Thanks

Offline Polar-Bus

Re: Suspension Noise
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 01:51:04 AM »
Hi,

I'm a recent owner of an 03 500 and noticed a squeaking noise (when I sat on the bike) that was coming from the suspension after I washed the bike.  Could this mean one of the bearings is going or could this be normal? 

The noise when away after it dried and all of the components on the suspension feel great otherwise.

Thanks

It's most likely the shock shaft bumper.  spray some WD40 at the shock shaft, and the noise should go away. My bike does the same thing acassionally.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline dmazz71

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 02:07:01 AM »
I'll give that a try.  Thanks for the reply.

Dan

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 04:38:29 AM »
 Hey D,
 You may also spray some penetrating type oil around the top and bottom of the shock spring and washers.
   As the spring compresses and expands it tends to twist and you get the squeek as the washers, spring and mounting points move.  There are some high dollar bearings avail that started I think in the auto industry.  Makes complete sense on a bike too. 
  like these : http://www.globalwest.net/4002.html?productid=4002&channelid=LSCA2
  Tuck\o/ 
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 04:53:55 AM »
if you go overboard with the pressure washer and detergent you could do with getting some grease on the linkage bearings as they will squeak if dry of lube.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 02:59:31 AM »
if you go overboard with the pressure washer and detergent you could do with getting some grease on the linkage bearings as they will squeak if dry of lube.

+1,  good advice. 

Especially stay away from the steering neck bearings...
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline don46

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 03:11:55 AM »
Hi,

Thanks

It's most likely the shock shaft bumper.  spray some WD40 at the shock shaft, and the noise should go away. My bike does the same thing acassionally.

I'm sorry but I don't see how the shock shaft bumper could cause it to squeak, the shock would have to be compressed all the way to even come in contact with the bumper and if just sitting on it caused contact with the bumper the squeak would be the least of his problems.

Usually when there is a squeak in the suspension it means a dry bearing, since this bike is new to you I would re grease all the bearings, Kawasaki does a terrible job of lubing bearings, when I buy a new bike that is the first thing I do before I ever ride it, grease the steering stem bearings, linkage bearings and the swingarm bearings. This is a ritual I do at least twice a year, I do use a power washer and feel the extra work is worth having a clean spotless bike.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come