Author Topic: Christmas Valley Oregon 6-5-11  (Read 3186 times)

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Christmas Valley Oregon 6-5-11
« on: June 07, 2011, 10:39:59 AM »
I went to Christmas Valley for a weekend ride with one of my employees and my Dad.
As usual I was in a hurry to finish up final business and get out of town ASAP.
4 hours of driving, unload the bikes and we were off for about 5 minutes when I heard a loud bang.
At first I thought my engine had done a massive backfire.
However, it seemed to be running fine.
Then I felt the whole thing shimmy.
I stopped and looked back and saw that the entire tire was blown off the rim on one side  :cry:
Due to being in sand, I rode it back to camp very slowly.
When I got there I realized that I didn't bring a spare wheel which I usually do.
Next I thought I'd repair the tire but saw that the bead was broke all the way through....
So here I am, 4 hours from home on a 3 day ride with no way to fix it.
What did I do?
I grabbed a screw drive, jammed the tire back over the rim and rode it for three days totally flat  :roll:
I had to take it easy but I survived the weekend with only minor crashes.
Here is a video taken with my Hero GoPro camera mounted backwards.
I used one of the lower resolutions to make the video longer.
I have about 2 1/2 hours of video which I will need to edit before I try to upload any more.
It's no big deal, but it was still fun.
Other than a huge dust storm the weather was good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLh2TN_2Aaw
The scratchy sound is from my Dad throwing sand, rocks, and dirt at me and hitting the backside of the camera  :-D
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 10:43:02 AM by sandblaster »
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline 81cr450

Re: Christmas Valley Oregon 6-5-11
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 12:34:28 PM »
thumbs way up on not having a tantrum & just ridning it anyway. hope it didnt hurt the rim

if I only had a pair, I could actually ride this thing

& to the people I like  FYYFF

Offline kxpegger

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 12:43:10 PM »
Interesting view! What's on the other side of those dunes? Are they razorbacks (big air)?
North Las Vegas

"05" RMZ450, "08" KX500AF "11" KTM 450SX-F "12" KTM 250SX "15" KTM450SX-F

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 03:20:34 PM »
  Blaster,
 Always nice to see who your writing to. :-) 
   Hey your bike sounds great, and your riding party seems to be having a good time.     Good on you for not making the rest of the pack regret taking all the time and money to drive out.   I'm sure we have all been on a get-away that goes south, and someone always seems to make the situation worse.
     Next time you guys drive down send me a note.. I've never been up to C. V. 
I'm a couple hrs. south in Mt. Shasta.   
   "My" suspension may not be cleared to ride, but heck, I'd enjoy just getting away and keep an eye on camp or do repairs etc...
       Thanks for taking the time to post up the vid and the link!
              Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 03:18:06 AM »
81cr450: thumbs way up on not having a tantrum & just ridning it anyway. hope it didnt hurt the rim.
sandblaster: I'm not a tantrum kind of guy. If I see a problem, I look for a solution, laugh, and learn.
I'll get around to inspecting the wheel later this week (If I have some time). I do have some back up's so no biggie :-)

kxpegger: Interesting view! What's on the other side of those dunes? Are they razorbacks (big air)?
sandblaster: You know it! There is something for everyone (which is how I got broke up last year).
My big air days are gone but I can still have fun :-)

Friar-Tuck: Blaster,
 Always nice to see who your writing to. 
   Hey your bike sounds great, and your riding party seems to be having a good time.     Good on you for not making the rest of the pack regret taking all the time and money to drive out.   I'm sure we have all been on a get-away that goes south, and someone always seems to make the situation worse.
     Next time you guys drive down send me a note.. I've never been up to C. V.
I'm a couple hrs. south in Mt. Shasta.   
   "My" suspension may not be cleared to ride, but heck, I'd enjoy just getting away and keep an eye on camp or do repairs etc...
       Thanks for taking the time to post up the vid and the link!
              Tuck\o/
sandblaster: My bike is jetted a bit rich for 4000 ft but clears up nicely with a good crack of the throttle..
I would never make my friends suffer for my mistakes. When I had my bad wreck last year I sat in camp all weekend with a broken colar bone and 3 broke ribs just so everyone else could have fun. Even hurt I still had a good time.
I even took a quad for a slow ride around to use the facilities :-)
We will probably take another C.V. trip in the fall.
If we do I'll hit you a PM.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 05:23:28 AM »
We will probably take another C.V. trip in the fall.
If we do I'll hit you a PM.

Cool! Vielen Dank  :-D
      Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"