Author Topic: I-Cat.. Anyone tried this ??  (Read 3777 times)

toddwunsch

I-Cat.. Anyone tried this ??
« on: June 04, 2004, 05:48:52 PM »
When I first heard of this device, I was skeptical.  Now, I've read up on this in a half a dozen mags in the past 3 months.  This was designed by European engineers in an effort to reduce emmissions in engines that run indoors.  Basically, it's an inline device that is installed between the coil and the spark plug.  It changes the shape of the spark and lengthens the time the spark fires inside the cylinder.  The original idea was to spend as much fuel as possible inside the cylinder.  The fortunate byproduct was more horsepower.  They have since designed this device for motorcycles.  Retails for $200 and was written up in last month's Dirt Rider magazine with great reviews.  Anyone actually have any experience with this.  Read this article from Transworld Motocross.  They swear by it.

http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/product_reviews/article/0,13190,536735,00.html

Fookeneh

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 10:32:04 AM »
I could see it helping starting ,but.....think about this; When you light gasoline,does it stay lit ,or does it go out and require a longer flame?Its pretty safe to say that once it is burning ,it's gonna burn.  Under extreme cylinder pressures such as super chargers or nitrous a longer bigger fatter (thats what she said) spark is needed so it is not 'blown out' by the pressure. just my 2-cents. :?:

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2004, 03:31:41 PM »
Sounds like a joke to me. Use the $200 to get a high powered coil. Or a $12 IX plug. The roost boost was a joke like they said and I'm sure this product is. If I read about it from another reputable dirt mag, I will give it a shot. But, for now, get your jetting streight, that will give you the best performance gain overall. ;-)

toddwunsch

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2004, 06:13:10 AM »
Everything on my bike runs wonderfully.  The jetting is perfect, and I already use the IX plug.  I read (2) two great articles on this device. One in Dirt Rider and the other in Motocross Action.  Dirt Bike magazine has done a small product review, but they didn't test it.  I'm just in the pursuit of getting every little pony available out of that bike.  Low cost items like Power Now, and this device that are easy to install generally catch my attention first.  I was just as skeptical at first until I read these articles.  That article from Motocross Action is very convincing.  I'll tell you what, I'll go for it and test it out and let you guys know.  If it doesn't do anything for me on the KX, I'll try it on my 4-stroke or my jet ski.  Hell, it may end up on my weed eater.  I'll let you guys know how it goes.  If those guys at Motocross Action are serious, it could be one of the easiest, least expensive ways to gain HP :-)

sdkx500

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2004, 06:50:38 AM »
The article didnt say anything about putting it on a dyno after installation.  Thats the real results i wanted to see from there test.  Let us know..... Do you have anyway to dyno a before and after?

mikesmith

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2004, 07:43:29 AM »
Even if you dont have a dyno let us know how or if it feels differnt and see if it helps fuel milage.

mikesmith

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2004, 09:48:59 PM »
I see it's in the new MXRacer,they say they could definitely feel a differance in power on a CR250.Improved throttle response,and power came on earlier,enhanced power down low.The only hitch was its hefty price tag,( my words) but that last bit of power is always the most expensive!

kawdude

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2004, 05:23:17 AM »
LOL

Hell, it may end up on my weed eater

Cool, I was thinking about porting and stroking my Ryobi but this would be cheaper!!!

Sharc

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2004, 11:16:48 AM »
Hmmmm - I think making a K5 easier to hang onto seems more important than making it faster...
Try 14x49 gearing, go out on a nice firm loamy surface, get rolling in 2nd gear, and PIN IT through the gears....in the fat part of 3rd or 4th ask yourself if your bike really needs to be any faster.... :wink: If the answer is Yes, try it again through some whoops/woods...If the answer is still yes, I guess that's why you're riding an open class 2-stroke...WE'RE SPEED FREAKS...!!

toddwunsch

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2004, 03:17:00 PM »
You know, the KX doesn't always respond the same way every time.  My favorite thing to do with my KX is climb insane hills and I do get in some predicaments sometimes where I wish the responsiveness was a little better.  I'm also after better gas mileage as well as I think this may contribute a little in that area.  But yeah, I agree with you.  I don't actually need any more power.  My arms are not equipped to hold onto what I have right now in most situations.

Fookeneh

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2004, 05:41:47 PM »
If you want to feel responsiveness, try a yzf450. Of course they only have 48 rear wheel hp, but those suckers rev to the limiter real fast. I rode my friends alot,and I find it too hard on rear tires compared to my good 'ol five.