Author Topic: Having electrical problems on your K5?  (Read 31914 times)

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: Having electrical problems on your K5?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 04:21:48 PM »
You mean you can write on tape & mark them

well.........  :lol:
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline LundMx

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2013, 05:05:24 PM »
Wow im glad this is up on here! Im finally getting my bike ready to start, so i spent most of the day mounting thr coil and cdi just to find out...... No spark  :? . So i clipped off all the bullet connectors on the wire leads and replaced them with new ones, at this point ive tried everything, it had spark when i disassembled it and now, nothing.. I am so frustrated at this point i dont want to even look at the d**n thing. I have a cheap ohm tester and couldnt find the right values... One question though, disconnecting the kill switch will remove that possibility from the loop correct? As a bike can run without a kill swith. Next is there a common first thing to replace i.e. coil or cdi or both? Stator seems to be giving power but at this point im frazzled ..... Help
LundMx

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2013, 07:38:34 PM »
Wow im glad this is up on here! Im finally getting my bike ready to start, so i spent most of the day mounting thr coil and cdi just to find out...... No spark  :? . So i clipped off all the bullet connectors on the wire leads and replaced them with new ones, at this point ive tried everything, it had spark when i disassembled it and now, nothing.. I am so frustrated at this point i dont want to even look at the d**n thing. I have a cheap ohm tester and couldnt find the right values... One question though, disconnecting the kill switch will remove that possibility from the loop correct? As a bike can run without a kill swith. Next is there a common first thing to replace i.e. coil or cdi or both? Stator seems to be giving power but at this point im frazzled ..... Help

I once had the same problem. first check the both black wires (black with white line on it), coming out of the cdi. One goes to the kill switch, the other to the stator. if you connect it wrong there is no spark. if you connect it properly, the spark is back.  :-) .  then i made several connections to the wires, so I never connect it wrong again.  :-) also make sure that the kill switch works properly.
good luck.. :-)

and yes the ignition sparks without kill switch, if all other wires are connected right...
big 2 stroke bikes are weapons for real men, who don´t fear death or devil. ;O)
´83 kx250, ´87 kx250 (with 360 big bore), 87 kx500, ´93 kx500 sfc

---  www.der-motopunk.de.tl  ---

Offline LundMx

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 12:44:03 AM »
My problem ended up being A bad ground wire! Cracked internally. Clipped off and spliced in new wire. Braaap!
LundMx

Offline nirvanafan98

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2013, 03:31:43 PM »
I ran  a separate ground from stator plate to coil where it grounds to the frame. It might be an illusion but I see a stronger spark . Read an article on doing that , don't remember where .
My choices are my voice. Was a little boy who dreamed of becoming Bob Hannah .

Offline NCwoods

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2013, 12:36:59 PM »
I went through all of this and had a poor running engine, especially on top. I bought the power dynamo and boom, it rips now. I have a top end that simply will not stop pulling. Its a beast from bottom to top and the ignition is easy to install. Also, the cost is less than a stator and mag from Kawasaki.

Offline conbread

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2013, 01:37:09 PM »
I went through all of this and had a poor running engine, especially on top. I bought the power dynamo and boom, it rips now. I have a top end that simply will not stop pulling. Its a beast from bottom to top and the ignition is easy to install. Also, the cost is less than a stator and mag from Kawasaki.

got a part number for this??

Offline alward25

"Let there be light"

Offline 1988JoSh0

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2019, 08:04:54 AM »
Change all electrical connections and seal them

Offline Borntworide

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2020, 09:23:11 AM »
@sandblaster

That's an awesome write-up!!  Do you think that it can be applied to all older  1990 -2000 model KX's 250 and 125?

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2020, 04:32:24 PM »
@sandblaster

That's an awesome write-up!!  Do you think that it can be applied to all older  1990 -2000 model KX's 250 and 125?

The basics apply but the specs are different.

@sandblaster wont work here unlike it would on Instagram.
But I'm @weirkxgururacing on Instagram.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Grasshopper73

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2020, 02:05:01 PM »
I have an 87 k5 , I want to upgrade my system to a newer k 5 ignition. How new can I go without any modifications. 89 to 04 ?  Cdi, coil , stator , flywheel

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2020, 04:17:33 PM »

But really how many used parts suppliers label the cdi wire before they send it to you  :-D :-D :-D

I never will  :-o

Offline AaronM

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2020, 04:30:43 AM »
Great info, thank you!