Author Topic: Poor performing PWK39?  (Read 1436 times)

Offline NZ500

Poor performing PWK39?
« on: September 11, 2010, 03:09:50 PM »
I have an '03 KTM sx200 which I've been battling with for over a year to make it work properly (is very responsive but only lasts about a km before dieing). Even though I've gone over the stock pwk39 many times I thought I'd swap it for the one out of my KX500 since this bike really has me stumped (and poor).

I swapped the main and pilot jet out of my ktm carb into the KX one and left the top part of carb on the ktm (slide with needle and cap). The bike fired up straight away. The bike still lifts the front wheel in the first 3 gears just with throttle but it feels like there is slightly less low to mid power and quite a noticable amount gone at full throttle. It just no where near as crisp with the KX carb on. The guy I brought the ktm off had it jetted way to rich when I got it and it feels like it's rich again with the kx carb on it?

I'm not leaving the kx carb on the bike but it does make me wonder is there something wrong with that carb or have I forgotten to swap something over? The KX carb is 1990 and the KTM is 2003. The slide (which I didn't use on my ktm) on the KX carb looks worn so where it sits in is probably worn too. Any suggestions?

Edit: the carbs appear to be exactly the same but the KTM one has two more breathers on the top of it (pointing straight up)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 03:12:08 PM by NZ500 »