Author Topic: kx65 clutch help PLEASE  (Read 6697 times)

Offline Rekles

kx65 clutch help PLEASE
« on: September 22, 2011, 09:06:05 AM »
OK so the story goes like this, last season my sons clutch would not engage so i told him to just not use the clutch. and after that weekend i parked the bike.
For some reason i thought it was the whole clutch assembly that was shot. so i started tearing into it and found out the cable and lever were the only problem. i had already got a new clutch, clutch cable, gaskets , and top end so i said screw it and replaced everything i could.
i soaked the friction plates over night in lucas 10-40 motorcycle oil like kawi says, and i tightened all the bolts holding the screws on pretty snug.

we went out and the bike started slipping on a trail,after we got home i noticed that the drain plug was not even hand tight and it dumped all the oil out!
i put more oil in it and tightened the bolt and the same thing is happening, clutch grabs until high rpm and completely slips!

what could it be glazed? it was only used maybe for 20 min if that!
maybe the springs are not tight enough? how i thought they only had to be like 7lbs of torque.

please help i would like to go riding this weekend

THANKS

Offline jonny500

Re: kx65 clutch help PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 09:26:48 AM »
sound like you have cooked the clutch. but your first port of call should be the cable and lever, do you have any free play in the cable

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 01:45:14 PM »
Hey Reckles,
 Like Johnny said there should be about the thickness of a nickle of freeplay at the lever.
  If the friction plates are "glazed" you can break the glaze by sanding the friction plates on a flat surface with some sandpaper. 
  Something else that may be affecting your clutch is the oil you used.  You have to be sure there are NO 
friction modifiers in the oil.
  Let us know how the cable freeplay looks and then we'll go from there..
  Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline Rekles

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 04:06:51 PM »
yeah i tried to adjust the clutch as much as possible, im gonna have to make sure there are no friction modifiers in the oil right now. other wise we will have to open it back up this weekend and try to fo from there.

Any way on how to get all the old oil out and put some fresh atf in? i herd that atf in a kx65 is the bees knees!

Offline Rekles

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 05:01:54 PM »
just checked and the lucas oil says on the bottle its great for wet clutches

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 05:13:24 PM »
Well it was worth a shot, (on the friction modifiers).
   Unfortunately I don't know what else you can do short of opening up the sidecover.
Sorry Rekles.
  Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"