Author Topic: Go Pro HD Helmet Cam  (Read 4906 times)

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
Go Pro HD Helmet Cam
« on: April 29, 2010, 12:23:05 AM »
 Hey guys,
 The gf bought me the Go Pro HD helmet Cam. My buddy has the other Go Pro (not sure of the model ) that has the AAA batteries. The new camera has the same functions and controls, so thats cool that I don't have to learn two different interfaces. The HD cam solves some of the issues with the older model. This one has a battery much like a cell phone battery. It recharges as you download stored video to your computer. Never have to remove the battery. Its supposed to record for 3-4 hours on a charge. It also holds the SD cards up to 32 gigs. Thats also hours of capacity. The new one also allows you to set up different levels of Definition, and Vertical range of video. Basically more or less video quality= more and less space on the card.
  I have found that mounting the camera at a level that looks slightly too high is the best. Flat with the visor keeps giving me footage that is pointing down too far. Apparently, we look down as part of an intense riding posture.  :-D

Anyone have any good tips, do's and dont's, previous issues with the HD. I know kx-cam22 re-engineered battery life, for the older model. Anything I need to be aware of on this one, before I miss out on the timing that it takes to get the perfect vid? As always, thanks for your input.

Offline ktmdude

Re: Go Pro HD Helmet Cam
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 11:56:33 AM »
Sorry I don't have any advice.
On a side note I just got one for the gf (riding buddy) she rips, lucky me. The bummer was the usb port was mest up, so we can't down load or charge it. I got it for our last race the vcgp, she won! But no footage. :cry:
On the up side go pro has been working on fixn it up for us. They still have it so its not over yet, but it seems like they stand behind their product.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 06:01:54 AM »
The HD model is the way to go.  The sample video is far better than the regular cam.  But then the sample video from the regular one is far better that what I get, so go figure.  Only tip I can offer is that if you trail or single track dont mount the camera ONTOP of your helmet. It will have a very very short life.  Moto or desert only it might be ok. Buy replacement lenses right away.  Under normal riding you will smash the camera off the top of your helmet within a few rides.  Mine is under my visor and I have already replaced a few lenses due to rocks/trees in the face. Cam.

Offline ktmdude

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 06:53:06 AM »
I have seen people mount them to the chest protector. I just got ours back, have yet to play with it.

Offline 500HORZ

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 04:37:07 PM »
just be careful with it - was trying to be with mine, and then my daughter bumped my helmet off the table and cracked the mount - camera still works good- just never thought it'd get hurt unless from a bad fall...

Offline Hillclimb#42

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 12:41:14 AM »
I'm having lots of problems with my editing software, now. I used to use the Windows Moviemaker, but it will no longer recognize the audio tracks. I bought a Pinnacle program ($100) it wouldn't load onto my PC. I drove back out there returned it for a Magix Studio Program. This one down loaded, was a super pain to edit and then won't let me pull music from my computer. It will let me put a cd into the drive pick the songs, then that has to be saved to the harddrive again before a preview. To top that off this program saves and loads too slow. I'll be headin back to Best Buy and the Geeks better quit recommending things that suck. Anyone use Nero? or know how to fix Windows Moviemaker?

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 02:28:51 AM »
Hillclimb,
  Im with you on the video editing software.  I spent every evening for a couple weeks with Magix trying to do some simple edditing things and coudn't figure out how to do it. I Gave up.  I will be trying tracakpc next. Cam.

Offline ktmdude

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 02:38:47 AM »
I hope it is simpler with a mac.

Offline matzilla

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 05:16:32 AM »
i use roxio creator. the newest one. works awesome. simple and intuitive. also let's me convert my videos to multiple formats so i can post to YouTube and load 3GPP videos to my phone. good stuff.

Offline Hillclimb#42

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 06:02:50 AM »
roxio, huh? the only one I haven't tried yet. Picked up the Nero, but its needing a microsoft update that will not work. I hate these kinda problems. I spent 4hours dealing with the Magix, and it was only about 50 min.s worth of footage. I was soooo PO'd when it wouldn't let me use music from my computer. Editing was a total pain. Now Best Buy is telling me that I can't return their software anymore. This is my 3rd program, but so waht. I bought the computer from them and am buying what they suggest. At 100 bucks it should download and do all the editing too. I saw the Roxio program there, which version are you liking, matzilla? Is it just called Roxio Creator?

Offline matzilla

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 07:06:17 AM »
I believe it is Roxio Creator 10. might even be "Ultimate Edition". It has software for everything I have wanted to do with music, video, and data.personIf you are a tech  you can find it bootleg style on many of the torrent sites. Though you need a Bit Torrent Client to download from these sights. Usually the download will come with instructions for how to install. You can find many useful programs that way, but be careful. Scan anything you download before opening, and read the comments for the links before downloading so you don't waste your time with junk.

Offline ToomanyKaws

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 10:05:13 AM »
Just got a standard GP Hero for $99 at Costco.  Few years back I got three of the Oregon Scientifics for $90 each.   Only one is working now.  Have got some killer footage though.    Need edit it all up this summer.  Think I have more than 20 mb to sift through.    Usually would turn it on when we got to some good terrain.   More often than not you miss taping things that happen unexpectedly.     

Will get to try out this GP here soon I hope.

As for mounting, tried the side of the helmet and the top with the older cameras.   Its easy to hit them on cactus and Yuccas, trees no matter what.

Have used the windows Moviemaker.   Its worked ok in the past but when trying to put a really big movie together is usually when it will lock up.   Got a few large works in process I never finished up.

Offline ktmdude

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 04:08:52 PM »
We just used ours for the first time today. I have yet to look at it yet, but there should be a good shot of me doing a good over the bar get off. I'm all good and the bike to. I'll try to put up a link after editing and what not, I'm not to good with computers. I hope it comes out well.