Author Topic: reed stops  (Read 3000 times)

Offline 5004life

reed stops
« on: April 14, 2010, 12:54:30 PM »
ok i found out its not a jetting issue apparently....i cleaned the carb,the powervalve is working and set up properly,and the fuel petcock is clean...i found a few chips on the edge of the reed petals so i have ordered new boyesens now for my final question should this bike have reed stoppers on it???? because it doesent could this also be a part of my problem ?

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
Re: reed stops
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 01:09:23 PM »
does it have stock reed cage in it.

Offline 5004life

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 01:31:48 PM »
to my knowledge yes

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 02:05:24 PM »
 Yep, The newer aftermarket stuff has smaller stops, but they all have them.
 I believe they help keep the reed  from excess flutter & Bounce by keeping tension on them.
  If you check out this link they look to cover the reeds quite a bit more than what I'm used to seeing.
Maybe that's why they got tossed.
  The link may not go to "Cyl,Cyl Head,Reed Valve"  click on that tab.   http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/servicehonda/Kawasaki_OEM/KawasakiDB.asp?Type=13&A=366&B=8

I have bent reed stops open as far as possible, but never removed them completely. 
  Tuck\o/

"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline kaw rider

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 03:49:31 PM »
Are there boyesen reeds on the cage now. Some of the boyesen don't have stops.

Offline Japie

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 06:08:48 AM »
I just bought a set of Boyesen power reeds for my son's KX60. The cage did not have any reed stops on when i bought the bike(second hand), so i figured Boyesens don't need any stoppers? I can not get the reeds to "seat" properly, meaning there is a gap between them and the cage. No amount of swopping and turning helps. Are they supposed to be slightly "concave/conveks" in profile when you buy them?

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 06:55:56 AM »
They should be sealed up tight. As far as I know, they need to resist free-flow or you will have a rich condition that is hard or impossible to tune out. i have seen reed petals with broken corners, that didn't look like they would change anything, since they were still sealed, but the bike ,a yz125, would bog right off of the idle, if you gassed it real hard. It would go "bah, ying." I like my Vforce. Expensive, unless you compare to buying something else and that cheaper deal doesn't work right.

Offline kaw rider

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 07:13:39 AM »
try flipping the pedal and see if the helps the gap problem

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 11:59:34 AM »
No, to the question on any air gap on the reeds.  they should seat against the cage or "Frame".
Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 03:33:14 PM »
check out stewarts thread on reed valve timing, good info.     http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,4943.0.html

Offline Japie

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 09:04:37 PM »
Thanks guys...i figured it should form a tight seal.

Hillclimb#42, i have tried flipping it...no good. I've even checked the face of the cage where the reed must seat...straight as an arrow. I think i should take it up with Boyesen, because you could see that the packaging was very old, and they where very tightly vacuum packed in there. Maybe they should have a slightly concave/bent profile and this disappeared over the years?

Thanks Maddoggy...Stewarts test now give me a way to test reeds!