Author Topic: starting...  (Read 3811 times)

FastKX500

starting...
« on: March 07, 2004, 06:46:51 AM »
Okay I try and get my bike out today and The son of a b!tch would not start no matter what, the gas tank was filled, choke was on and gas was on, I held in the front break and shook it front and back, and it wouldnt start....so then i tried to drift start it down my driveway it started but then shut off, i had it started for bout 2 mins with the choke on then i gave it some gas and it shut off and wouldnt start after that....I think i am kicking it wrong, but my foot hurts so much now, I know you have to get the piston to the top of the cylinder then kick it the whole way down...which I was trying to do. Can anyone give me some tips? I could really use some. Thanks guys
-Kayne

mikesmith

starting...
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2004, 07:29:42 AM »
Well it sounds like its getting gas,but maybe you fouled the plug,try a new plug.Is the air filter clean or just oiled?I slowly push the kick starter through a few times with the gas on,then turn on the choke and let the kick starter catch then give it a good hard kick,only holding the throttle at 1/8 or less of a turn.Itll start by 3rd or 4th kick at the most(normally 1st kick).If it doesnt start by the 5th time I give it a few minutes and try it with the choke off,then try the throttle 3/4 open,if its not starting by now Ill try and bump start it.If it doesnt start after all of that Id check the plug to see if its fouled or no spark, fuel to the engine, and then compression.Do the simple things first,and go from there.

FastKX500

starting...
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2004, 10:20:48 AM »
nah its brand new air filter and its oiled, I just got done trying to start it again, ive been trying all day, we tried everything, my buddy sat on the back with me and we tried to drift start it down a road, in 1st 2nd and 3rd gear, it started in 2nd drifting but when I pulled in the clutch it just stalled, I really wanted to ride today to, I dont get it, I started it before like 35 degrees, today was so perfect still wouldnt start....I weigh about 170lbs and I cant get it started, but my dad can usually start it in a couple kicks, really gets me mad....any tips?

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
starting...
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2004, 02:06:55 PM »
Maybe bad gas? I'd drain the tank and retry. From a gas station you can trust has fresh fuel.

Also, maybe the timing is slightly off, worth a check. Change the plug too. Your carb could be clogged too. Try cleaning it.

I hope some of that helps. I'd start from the top and work my way down.

FastKX500

starting...
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2004, 03:39:13 PM »
93 octane gas, and the carb might be dirty..i guess i could check that, thanks alot.

mikesmith

starting...
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2004, 10:22:06 PM »
By the air filter being oiled I ment that if you had just oiled it and tried to start the bike it can suck enough oil off the filter if its over oiled and foul the plug,or over oiled before the sovent in the oil flashes that it cant get enough air and runs rich.Any way you say your dad can start it,is it not starting for him either?If it is than try the starting tips listed as it seems like your having problems that he isnt.How long has it been since it ran right?The 1st time you started it you could idle with the choke on,second time it ran by bump starting it,but dies with the clutch in..does that mean you could ride it in gear untill you pulled in the clutch?Runs only at idle with only the choke on?Im trying to figure out what it is and isnt doing?It could be numerous things wrong so we need to know what it does and when it does it, You need fuel,spark and compression to run.I weigh 183lbs so I doubt you are to light to start it,and you can push it forever but if theres something wrong its not going to help any.Before tearing the carb down as I said before look at the plug and try a new one and check for spark and go from there..good luck!

FastKX500

starting...
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2004, 10:46:31 PM »
yea, ima pick up a new spark plug, I think that would be better then me trying to start it all day, my foot is so sore now haha. and is it possible to like foul a spark plug half-way? Because the only way it even tries to start is when I bump start it, but even then it just shuts off. Usually I just kick start it like usual, but that didnt work.

Rick

starting...
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2004, 04:48:36 AM »
Spark plug...NGK BR8EVX.

Yes, with a fouled plug, it will start when pushed, pulled, or rolled down a hill, but then die right away.

Also, wear a boot when you kick the big 500...hurts less.

Rick

FastKX500

starting...
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2004, 07:16:54 AM »
alright thanks..thats def what it is, next time ill let it warm up more  8)

Jes_KX5

starting...
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2004, 06:35:59 AM »
Being 170lbs. the bike should be easy for you to start. I can start mine in 2 kicks after it sits for a month (I weigh 160lbs.) and my 11 year old brother can start it in 4 kicks and he's 5' and about 110lbs. There is something wrong with the bike if its not starting. Try the plug because its the easiest to check/fix.

FastKX500

starting...
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2004, 05:45:17 AM »
yea i took out my plug today and its def fouled, its dark black and has oil on it, and someone said a plug for me to use, but the one i took out was different its a NGK B8ES

mikesmith

starting...
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2004, 06:49:23 AM »
Take Ricks advice and run the plug he suggested,it wont hurt the bike.

FastKX500

starting...
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2004, 07:04:06 AM »
yea man i put in that plug, the platnium, not its runner better then ever, i had to lean it on its side to start, cause it wasnt getting gas, started 1 kick, thanks guys....ima go ride now :)