Author Topic: sletchen pipe ?? anybody remember  (Read 6917 times)

Offline royceymon@hotmail.co.uk

sletchen pipe ?? anybody remember
« on: November 16, 2010, 08:38:49 AM »
Hi guys
           when i had my kx500 in 88 i had a sletchen pipe ( i think that was the spelling) does any body remember them or what happened to the company perhaps its now hgs???

Offline DoldGuy

Re: sletchen pipe ?? anybody remember
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 09:49:08 AM »
Sletchen became known as SPES & to my knowledge it has become his sons business now known as DEP(?). About a decade ago Billy Liles was the importer for the SPES pipes here in the USA & I purchased one for my KX250 (still have it I think).
DoldGuy
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 09:31:33 AM by DoldGuy »
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline kawboy

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 09:50:21 AM »
I had one on my '93 500. The bike was stolen in June of 2008. The pipe will be one of the positive identifiers. It was one of the great Danny Hamel's. It had SPES stamped in it. It had great low end but kind of fell off on the top. If anybody ever runs across one for sell please let me know.
American by birth,Southern by the grace of God!

Offline Dutch-K5 Fan

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 04:45:32 AM »
Slechten and Spes are/ were Belgium brands, DEP is from the UK.  :? :?

Isn't Doma the new name???  And what Iv? heard that the Exhausts of Rino are made by SPES?

I would like to know what happend to Spes. They  made a lowboy version of there KX500 pipe!!!!
So maybe there are still molds for them :-).

Dutch
Proud owner of a KX500AF

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 07:59:55 AM »
Yeah Dutch
                  i think your correct i did get it from europe via an importer in 88 had it on my kx500 , ported and with sletchen pipe very very quick infact so quick when we had the amca beach race at weymouth holeshoted in both races ive got photos will put on disc and on the site , also got shots of brand spanker 89 kx250 when i just picked it up the 89 kawasaki chap should be interested in that!!

Offline jonny500

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 08:03:33 AM »
dep is in the uk. i have just bought 1, very poor quality welding and fab work but cheaper than anything else

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 08:08:22 AM »
SPES is now DOMA.  
Dutch, I would contact them as the boy took over his dad's old stuff.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 08:15:33 AM by RoostDaddy »
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 08:19:10 AM »
ive had a hgs and a fmf fatty for the kx250 the fmf took alot more battering but the hgs was the best performance/look/quality although saying that the fmf was good quality ........dont rate the dep .sorry

Offline VON DEM

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 11:27:53 PM »
HI , SLECHTEN BECAME SPES AROUND 1988 , THE SPES KX500 PIPE SIGNED OFF EARLY AS SOMOENE SAID WHICH WAS PREFFERED BY MOST GP CHAMPIONSHIP RIDERS AS IT HELPED THE CONROD / CRANK SURVIVE DAVE THORPE HAD A LOT OF BROKEN RODS AS HE REVVED THE KX500 SO HARD

Offline husky333

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 10:59:22 AM »
occasionaly spes/schlecten pipes can be seen on ebay over here in england,( second hand). the low boy look is a liitle unusual/different from the more familiar fmf or procircuit type. i have a D.G. front pipe in the garage, it is the only other make of pipe i have ever seen to the more familiar ones, it seems to be quite a rare thing.

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 09:37:28 AM »
there is a spes on ebay uk now,although im sure someone else said they give a broad range of power without signing off too early, which contradicts your experiences.were there 2 types?K.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....