Author Topic: New to me 85  (Read 3484 times)

Offline runabout

New to me 85
« on: May 18, 2010, 02:40:56 PM »
I just picked up a 2003 KX85 to go with the 88 KX500
problem the 85 sounds like it has marbles in the trans...
It runs mint... shifts mint... sounds great... the noice seems to be coming from the clutch cover area... Is it possible all this is coming from a plagued clutch?
Cover coming off shortly.. for a CSI
Regards

Offline Sapper

Re: New to me 85
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 03:01:54 AM »
If it sounds like marbles, I would be willing to bet it is the bearing for the trans primary shaft. Possibly a few bearings in there are toast. Even though we did frequent oil changes, my sons 100 had to have a few bearing in the cases replaced. I even had to replace the actual countershaft cause the sprockets had worn out the splines. It was an 06 and he rode/raced it for 3 years. But the last year of it was extremely hard and was modded and eventually became a 112cc.

Offline runabout

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 08:12:33 AM »
Thanks for the info snap
I will look into this for sure... just another toy/fun project
Regards

Offline mustangfury

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 12:07:40 AM »
I have a problem similar to this. It could be the bushing on the starter gear. If it is worn it will apparently have slop and knock against the rivots on the back of the clutch basket. could be other bearings also.  Just another suggestion.

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,7486.0.html
1993 KX 125

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 12:15:16 AM »
Nah, Mustang you're confused. The plastic deal being broke could cause a noise. OR your basket may make a noise, or something else, but they could not touch each other. No matter what its take it apart and go hunting for broken or worn parts. You can usually see bright shiny aluminum where the part is wearing.

Hopefully, there is not any debris in there on your 85. If you start finding metal shavings, its bad. Needle bearings loose in the engine can destroy it. Maybe its just worn fingers on the basket or sticky crappy discs and plates.

Offline runabout

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 11:52:35 PM »
This poor bike...
I paid good money for it...LOL I picked it up for (free)
the clutch is new.. the basket is in great shape... clutch bearing good...
The exhaust valve works well and advances without issue...
noise is still there and you guys will love this the counter sprocket has been welded on

That is right welded on... not the J.B. type... good old fashion welding
more CSI to come
Runabout