Author Topic: Breather Hose Mod, which hoses?  (Read 7876 times)

Offline Narkotik666

• FreeTheOrange
Breather Hose Mod, which hoses?
« on: April 22, 2010, 10:42:43 PM »
Okay, i am sure that this has been discussed to death, trust, i've been searching to death.
First things first, I ride a 2005 KX250.
I RIDE Exclusively, i do track runs as warmup.
Now, i KNOW by now that my breatherhoses suck in water when the engine hits water and cools off.
so, i end up with WHITE liquid in the Tranny, don't worry my waterpump seals are fine, and the level never ever drops, it is definitly water being suck through the breathers.

NOW, i know that i should reroute my breathers higher on the bike (even the airbox).

ALL I NEED TO KNOW IS...WHICH HOSES are infact breathers (that suck in the water)...so i can reroute, or just point up higher when crossing water (which i do all the time.....i feel let down if i don't do atleast one gnarly river crossing, and yes, i am THAT GUY that charges through every possible puddle)

i see there is a thick black hose on the left side of of the crankcase, that points down??
and the 2 transparent hoses from the carb.

AM i right in assuming that the black hose is the crankcase breather and i can point it upwards? (bending it down again for oil to drip down), which of the carb hoses need to pointed up? and is there and other hose / vent that i should be weary of?

Thanks.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 12:10:49 AM by Danger4u2 »
2005 KX250 2T
2000 Husaberg FE650 (Exploded)

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
Re: Breather Hose Mod, which hoses?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 12:47:41 AM »
 I ride all over, through creeks and  huge mudholes constantly when play riding, and have only had milky in there when the water pump seal goes bad. the answer to your question though is that the small black one that connects to the top of the transmission is the only one that could possibly get anything to the crankcase. the other tubes connect to the carb which would deliver contaminates to the cylinder and could never get to the transmission. They do make filters to insert into the vent lines to prevent any issues with dirt. Also, I think its Doordie that I saw had a box deal on the swing arm that all of the vent lines connect to. I think the design there was to prevent spilling fuel and/or oil onto Supermoto tracks. My money is on the seal, the vent line would be submerged regardless during a deep water crossing.

Offline Narkotik666

• FreeTheOrange
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 01:49:55 AM »
thanks,
I thought it might be the seals,but i did a whole TEST process....
First time, rode in water LOTS OF WATER...."white" over the top of sight glass(meaning, it "added" so much liquid that the "fluid" in the sightglass is WAY higher than the required 800ml to have it in the middle of the sightglass.....coolant level normal.
Changed oil, rode in little bits of water(made sure that only the hoses are under water)....WHITE over the TOP of sightglass.....coolant level (analy checked, still the same)
changed oil, rode in NO WATER....Oil level, Normal, and normal color.
So, it seems that it only happens when i go through water, and i assume that its only the breather.
another assumption, if it is infact the waterpump seal, it would happen even if i just ride in the "dry" and i would loose coolant? which it didn't.

correct me if i'm wrong. please. i am NO expert. just from what i read in the forums, and i am sure that 80% of that is wrong in anywayz.

thanks for the quick reply.
2005 KX250 2T

Offline Hillclimb#42

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 05:51:38 AM »
No, sounds like you are thinking right. It would probably be weeping coolant at the water pump shaft and hardly ever be noticeable in the radiator. It just takes a little water to make the milky color. Filling it up past the sight window seems like alot of water. I don't think there is supposed to be any vaccuum there on that vent line, so you may be chasing a crank seal problem. i am more of the guy that tears them up, than the real expert, but I agree that something is abnormal by your description.
  When my water pump seal went, I had probably 3-5 seconds of milk that poured out before oil started to drain normally, so it does get alot in there. Way strange that it doesn't do it all the time. Can you feel a vaccuum or can u test for vaccuum on the vent line (while running)? The seal is super easy to replace and fairly cheap. I don't understand how it all operates normally, let alone when there is some freaky symptoms to chase, but you could easily be leaking vaccuum from case seals and sucking crankcase oil into the other side, and sucking air and water through the vent line. A leakdown test would conform or rule out a crank seal issue.

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 06:19:35 AM »
Assume = "Ass" "U" "Me"

You have gotten good info from Hill Climb.
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline bigbellybob

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 10:40:35 AM »
im thinking the same thing. the gear box should vent out pressure built up from every thing spinning. and if it has vacuum the only thing that would make it have vacuum would be the crank seal.
IF RIDING IS OUTLAWED ONLY OUTLAWS WILL RIDE

sponsor
http://www.steelmx.com/

Offline Narkotik666

• FreeTheOrange
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 09:33:41 PM »
THanks,

man, i was worried about the case actually sucking in water....that would "SUCK" (yes, i did). I will search the site on a LEAKDOWN test procedure(with pics DAMMIT) before i "HOW CAN I LIKE TO DO A LEAKDOWN TEST LIKE???" malarchi.
Hmm, recently got a service manual, will check it out "how to replace the crankcase seal".....if not, forums again, hopefully with pics....i am a visual guy....i dont even know what a crankcase seal looks like to be honest.
but, if it is EASY and CHEAP, maybe i should just replace them, hmmmm.....
I will keep an eye on the issues....maybe go do some river crossing with the vent hose pinched between my legs, and see if i still get water in through somewhere else....get to diagnose a problem and ride the bike at the same time....NOW THATS SOUNDS LIKE POSITIVE PROBLEM SOLVING.
will keep it posted.

thanks for all the info.
2005 KX250 2T

Offline Hillclimb#42

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 12:24:28 AM »
 The seal that I reffered to about being cheap and easy was the water pump seal. Crank seals require splitting the cases and usually a few special tools and IMO, probably better left to the experts.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 03:42:09 AM »
There are some one-way vent filters on this page specifically for watercrossings.
http://www.kevinscycleracing.com/intakeandcarburetor.htm
  After you verify the other concerns are Oky-Doke.
  Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline Narkotik666

• FreeTheOrange
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 11:44:11 PM »
Cool, thanks for all the Info, i am sure i'll be able to figure it out, and yes, THE FACTORY WARRANTY I BOUGHT WITH THE BIKE IS SUCH A HANDY THING....money well spent IMHO!
I'll just tell them to fix all the seals.

Thanks. But i am stubborn, so i will still do the VENT LINE test. Just for the hell of it. and jus for added fun add one way valves to the carb hoses. as per the link....thanks for that.
2005 KX250 2T