Author Topic: NH member  (Read 3189 times)

Offline Wayfast1500

NH member
« on: April 12, 2010, 08:14:44 AM »
Hey guys, I was found this site while browsing thumpertalk.  I'm a welder from NH, I've been riding atvs since I was 12.  Last year I traded my banshee for a 2000 kx 250 and havnt looked back.  I'm in the middle of building a '86 yz 250, and I also ride street on a built Harley.  I love the kx, I ride everything from mx tracks to woods to riding on frozen lakes with a set of ice tires I made.

Offline blueoval

Re: NH member
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 08:47:43 AM »
wayfast, welcome!  This is a great site and lots of super folks!
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is JUST RIGHT!  B.O.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 09:40:29 AM »
  Welcome to the site NH,
 What kind of welding do you Do?  I got my 6G pipe w/stick after graduating H.S. and did a 5yr Apprenticeship with The SteamFitters.  Got to learn Mig Tig and then Hired out for the Railroad, I regret not getting a Machine and keeping up with it.
  There's always someone who needs something repaired.
Maybe we should start a restoration thread as there are a bunch of folks currently breathing life back into some of the '80s bikes.  This is a great group of Gearheads and Throttle Jockey's.  I'm sure we/they would like some pic's of your YZ build. You never know what or who can learn from your work. And although this is primarily a KX site 99% of the "Other" bike zingers are mearly for entertainement. 
   Tuck\o/

"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline Wayfast1500

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 09:54:33 AM »
Im kind of a jack of all processes, but I prefer TIG.  I've been doing repair work out of my garage, but now that I'll have a college degree in welding I'm hoping to get into some aerospace, or pipe welding.  I'll post some pics as I work on the yz, but my kx is taking most of my time trying to get it dialed in. 

openclass

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 10:14:10 AM »
Welcome Wayfast, I too have a 01 kx 250, and also had a 86 yz 250, The yz mays a great play/woods bike but not much for MX, just not enough hit. Good luck.

Offline runabout

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 11:16:32 AM »
Welcome wayfast from a fellow newbie
Thanks for keeping the 80s bikes going they are so great in there own right
I have a 1988 KX and I am looking for another at the moment (1986 KX80) I am on the hunt

Offline Wayfast1500

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 11:26:43 AM »
I figured the yz was either going to be mellow or have a "lightswitch" powerband.  All I use to do when I was in my young teens was build old stuff like that.  When I was 14 I picked up a '76 skidoo olympique, restored it and flipped it, started doing a '76 RM 250 that year with the dual rear shocks but it was too far gone for me at that time and I got rid of it, did a few old street bikes ect.  Besides the yz Im also building a '73 dodge charger.  Its a 318 car now numbers matching, but when I'm done it will either have a turbo 410 stroker or a mild 440.  Im leaning towards the stroker since I already have the 360 long block and its kind of out of the ordinary.

Offline runabout

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 01:19:24 PM »
hey does the car have torsion bars
I recall as a kid we had a plymouth wagon and one bar let go and whamo we were dead in the water
I love the charger and the 318 is a great engine to build

Offline Wayfast1500

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 02:03:07 PM »
yup, it does have torsion bars.  From what I hear when they let go it sounds like a gun shot.