Author Topic: Got my suspension rebuilt/revalved/resprung  (Read 2002 times)

Offline DHregdovic

Got my suspension rebuilt/revalved/resprung
« on: May 16, 2010, 03:54:29 AM »
Can't wait to try it out. I took the shock in about a month ago. The suspension guy I used said even though it is older technology in our shocks he said he "tweaked" it a little bit to make it better. Not sure what he did though.

I just picked up the forks yesterday. He said he was able to increase the internal piston size to make it work better.

This guy is the best. He used to be an MX Tech dealer/distributor or whatever they call them. He seems to be on his own now and he just does it still 'cause he like to do it. Great guy, I always spend 30 mins just talkin to him when I go up there.

Not sure if I got his "usual" pricing but he rebuilt/revalved and resprung the from forks for $225 and the back for $175 if I remember right. That is with new springs included. On top of that I also had him send out my shock to get rechromed as it had a few scratches and a place where the old chrome was starting to flake off. He offered to sell me a used shock shaft for $40 but when he explained that the factory chrome coatings are marginal at best I took him up on the offer to have it sent to a local shop for industrial grade chroming that is 4 times thicker than the stock coating. He said he's never once seen the chrome go bad on a shock that's been redone this way.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 03:56:05 AM by DHregdovic »

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
Re: Got my suspension rebuilt/revalved/resprung
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 02:35:55 PM »
Sounds like you got a great deal. It's always nice to find someone that knows and loves what they are doing. Let me know how it goes when you get to ride it.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline DHregdovic

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 07:32:07 PM »
I'll definitely post on how the ride feels. It'll prob be this weekend though as I just got the top end back together (with Larry's fine work on putting the decompression valve in the head). Gonna try to do a proper breakin of 6 heat up/cool down cycles as I had the cylinder replated too.

Offline 18thparadox

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 02:30:00 PM »
I wish I could find someone like that. I got my K5 from a guy I work with. He said he rebuilt the rear shock and replaced one of the o-rings with one he found in a garden hose in his yard  :? Needless to say 20 mins of riding and I was on 100% spring haha. Bike is still in the works so thats on the to-do-list.