Author Topic: Need Help with Fork Seal Replacment  (Read 2504 times)

Jes_KX5

Need Help with Fork Seal Replacment
« on: March 02, 2004, 07:20:16 AM »
One of my forks on my 1994 KX5 developed a leak. I wasn't due to dirt because I cleaned around the seal with film negative and it still leaked. I took the fork apart as such: removed the top cap, spring, and spring guide. The small rebound rods are also out. From what I was told, I should be able to pull the inner tube out at this point. How do I do this? I tried to remove it by holding the caliper bracket in a padded vice and pulling the outer tube repeatedly, but after about 20 hard pulls I haven't gotten anywhere. All the shops around me are rediculously expensive to replace the seals. The cheapest being $80 for one fork (I'm providing the seals) :roll: I need to do it myself. Do I need to remove the compression assembly on the bottom of the fork? Thanks for any help.

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004, 07:45:14 AM »
You need to remove the dustcover and under there you will see a clip. Pop the clip out and you will be able to pop the fork apart.

I won't get into too much detail because Rick will be here shortly with one of his novella's :lol: Actually Rick will have a complete step by step somewhere and he'll just cut and paste it I;m sure ;)

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2004, 07:46:14 AM »
Oh yeah, that whole film negative thing is WAY over-rated. Once you dirt behind the seal they need to be changed and no amount of film negative is going to change that.

Jes_KX5

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2004, 09:18:24 AM »
I didn't have much faith in the film negative method. But if you happen to have some lying around (like I did) its worth a shot if it will save you the time and money. It must have worked for some people but I have a feeling they needed to replace the dust covers since dirt was coming into contact with the fork seals anyway.

P.S. thanks for the info about the clip. Thats what I missed.

Rick

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2004, 03:18:50 AM »
OK, OK, I guess it's time to sit down and write a paper on changing fork seals with common tools (no seal driver).  Paul, unfortunately, that is one instruction sheet I have not written.  However, I will make sure I have something posted the first of next week.  I am getting ready to leave for the race this weekend, so don't have time to pen anything right now.  Hopefully, anyone in trouble with a fork seal replacement can wait a few days.  

On a different note, I'm ordering a digital camera so will be able to take more pictures to upload with some of the instructions.  Since I've spent about $45,000 on the ol' American Express card in the last couple of years, I can get one free (free???).  Unfortunately, it takes 3-4 weeks to arrive.  Will be cool when it gets here though....

I was also able to wind my own lighting coil, and it really works!!  I'll be writing instructions on that as well, and will be adding instructions for a KX125 and other KX machines with similar style stator plates.  Unfortunately, this is still a couple of weeks out.

Finally, have been working on a wood model of a kickstand with an internal spring.  I have one figured out, but want to build it first and the compare my design to the new internal spring stand on the market.  Not interested in copying them, just curious to see if we have the same approach.  Once the wood model is done, I'll make one out of aluminum (wood is easier to carve than aluminum, so good for a first try)  I'll post up some designs once that project is finished.

Let's see, what else can we think of to create? How about a two wheel chain drive KX500 desert machine.  Better yet, two motors...one for each wheel...

Rick

mikesmith

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2004, 09:35:30 PM »
Congradulations on the lighting coil!I had a picture around of a Husky XC500 with 2 engines once...and it really ran!