Author Topic: Handle bars  (Read 4210 times)

Twist-a-grip

Handle bars
« on: February 27, 2004, 10:56:54 AM »
I want to get some Pro Tapers for my 500 and am curious as to what you 6'0" guys might be using for a bend.  The adapters I hear add about 3/4" rise so I have to account for that.  I only have a 32" inseam so all my height is in the upper body.  I was thinking maybe the KX high bend or Woods high.  Unfortunately you can't  try different bars to find the one that's JUST RIGHT.
John

mikesmith

Handle bars
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2004, 09:48:52 PM »
The tallest bar they have that I know of is the Pastrana freestyle bar,KX tall is 1/2" shorter.Im 5'10 so I dont know whats best,but even if I was 6'+ I still wouldnt know.It's differnt for every body on what works best depending on riding style.You can always try some cheap steel ones to get an idea before buying Pro-Tapers.

teamgreen500

Handle bars
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2004, 09:58:22 AM »
Be careful...

The idea that taller bars are a tall guy's best friend is a trap. More often than not, tall bars just give cause to entriely TOO MUCH sitting down. They can also induce a "Too far back/Too often" riding style. That can get kinda hairy on a K5. I used to try to make this point to Tom Webb...Old Dogs...however, it seems to me that his brother, Mike Webb (Team Suzi.Off-Road Mgr) doesn't run Ape-Hangers and he ROOOOooosts on Tom! :P

I'm only 5'9"; however, I'm pretty balanced when it's an inseam v. torso comparo (Inseam30").

I'd suggest trying the lowest-straightest bend, that you think is acceptable, and go from there. I, often, start people out somewhere between RM-Lo and Cr-hi. Remember to readjust your levers and controls to the new bar attitude. While you're at it, try to locate your kill button as inward as possible while still keeping it usable while holding the clutch in.

I'm a big fan of Pro-Tapers with Answers own/ubber compatible bark bussters.

On the other-hand...

A certain -very qualified- Kawaski mechanic put some Renthal 7/8" (Std) bars on my bike and I'v had'em on there for -2-years (RM-lo-type version of the Original CR125 J-Mac bend). I kept shooting my mouth of about how I'd REALLY like an SR500 replica along the lines of the Wardy/LaRocco/Emig era (Straight up PURE Motoistic...ooooh-RAH!).

Now, get this! I'd swear that the 7/8 bars make the bike "Feel" lighter in the turns AND seem to make tighter turns seem effortless. A result of different flex characteristics? Am I getting a little too deep and starting to sound like a magazine reading sticker mongering designer moto-wanna-be? Probably...but...I'm serious. I plan on having Mike Smith spend some time doing a comparo via riding our bikes together and -literally- getting my lap top out and making notes.

Why Mike? 'Cause he's a straight-up Moto-Addicted-Nut-Job that thinks the little stuff DOES matter...Just like me.

Twist-a-grip

Handle bars
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2004, 01:14:52 PM »
Thanks, for the info!  I have settled on the Pro-Taper because of the absence of a cross bar.  I want to mount the Endurance computer well back from the number plate (for protection) and still have it visible at a glance.  Durability and vibration resistance were the other reasons. The bars that were on the bike when I got it were Answer Alumilite- 2 Bars (7/8").  Unfortunately they were bent.  I figured them to be a KX low bend.  Every time I grab for the "imaginary bar"(eyes closed) I come up wanting them about an inch taller than what those were.
  Maybe the KX low plus the adapters might be close.  I just keep on thinking about the used 2002 DRZ 400 I test rode.  For being some one elses bike, the ergos were perfect.  I never felt more comfortable and at home on any bike... even my own!  I have no idea what bars were on it, but he had a set of risers on it.  Unfortunately, I do sit alot. At 39 years of age, I am not in the shape I once was.  I have to remind myself to get up and avoid "monkeybutt".

Rick

Handle bars
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2004, 03:23:03 AM »
Well, with all due respect to Manny, I'm just a little taller than 5'9", and push the tape almost all the way up to 6'5".  I also have a different view on bar height and the impact of bar height on sitting and standing.  I have been running a set of Aero bars for about three years, also have a couple of Pro Taper bars in the van just in case I bend the Aero bars.  I really don't know what bend they are, as I used the data to select the bars instead of the name.  My intent was to find the tallest bar that didn't rake back very far, as the flatter the bar, the more comfortable it is to stand.  I also have handle bar towers for the Pro Taper bars off of a...uh...errr...this is so embarassing...Honda CR80.  The towers had to be drilled and taped for one center bolt, and raise the bars an extra inch.  I also added just over 2 inches to my seat foam to help with the transition from sitting to standing, and the extra height keeps my knees from bending beyond the 90 degree  point.

Before I raised the bar and seat, I found myself sitting way too much as it was just uncomfortable to stand.  Shorter guys (those say around 5' 9" and under  :lol: ) have the luxury of not being bent too much at the waist.  Taller guys (say 6'2" and over) bend way too much at the waist with the same setup as a shorter rider.  So, by raising the height of the bars, standing becomes comfortable, and therefore easy to do.  I also adjust my clutch really low on the bar (almost pointing to the ground) and rotate my bars upward (past zero towards the front fender) so that its uncomfortable to ride sitting down.  Kind of tricks my brain into standing more.

The way I came to this realization is by watching my youngest son ride while tuning his suspension.  As he passed in front of me, I noticed that he was standing almost staight up, as if to stand on the floor.  I jumped on my bike and noted how much I was bending at the waist.  I immediately set out to improve my comfort while standing by reducing the amount I bend at the waist.  

A final note.  Be careful to pay attention to how much the bars bend back, as the less flat the bars are, the more you will sit down.

Dang, I think about his stuff way too much....

Rick

SLEEZ

Handle bars
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2004, 03:35:54 AM »
I'm 5'9" and run the CR hi bend Pro Tapers. I've ran the same bend for the last six years, so I'm quite comfy with them. My buddy is over six foot, I believe 6'2"and runs the Windham bend Pro Tapers.The Windham bend has less rake and is taller than the CR hi bend. When I ride his bike it feels more like a BMX set up for me, and he feels cramped on mine. So ride other peoples bikes and see what you like. :D

Rick

Handle bars
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2004, 04:56:04 AM »
That's a great point SLEEZ, riding your friends machines can help you sample other bars.

In my previous post, I didn't even talk about grips, so might as well add it here.  The taller you are, the bigger your hand are generally going to be.  I used to run the same Scott or Renthal grips as everyone else until I found a set of fat Pro Grips.  The larger size fit my hands much better, and aided in overall comfort.  So, don't forget to test some grips while your working handlebar issues.

Rick

teamgreen500

Handle bars
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2004, 04:27:42 PM »
Grips...that got me laughin'!

I have to carve the "Waffles" off of the tops of my grips 'cause my hand's are too small.

Manny

Rick

Handle bars
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2004, 02:56:03 AM »
Heck Manny, if I could figure out how to glue on the stuck you peal off, we could both save some money.  Ha, Ha, Ha....