Author Topic: How To KX500AF  (Read 28077 times)

hangtime

How To KX500AF
« on: December 06, 2006, 03:37:02 PM »
Okay gentlemen here is my best  "how to" for the KX500AF. I'll address the five biggest obstacles I encountered and some people who were very helpful.

We'll assume two things. 1. You have a KX450F as a donor bike. 2. You have a KX500 as a donor bike.

First, The swingarm bolt on the KX500 is smaller than the swingarm bolt on the KX450F. (15mm vs. 17mm) To allow for the larger diameter bolt you must drill out the case halves. I think it is necessary to split the cases to do this. Splitting the cases allows you to rest the flat side of the case halves on the deck, then mill out the hole assuring a square new hole and proper swingarm bolt alignment.

Second,  This is the aluminum cut and weld part. A good man Dave at Absolute Engineering was good enough to help with this, it is hard to get someones attention with these small hobby projects, but Dave likes the smell of Premix. First you will need to cut out the motor mounts that are along the bottom tubes of the engine cradle. Cut them in a manner that they could be reused as shown by KXsinoz  http://www.kxriders.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=112&pos=13. Next, the wishbone is not in the right spot for the exhaust header to pass through. It must be raised to clear the exhaust. To remove the wishbone I cut mine right above the weld that holds the cast lug. The cast piece connects the downtube with the two engine cradle tubes. Again remove it in a manner that it could be reused http://www.kxriders.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=112&pos=12. The amount of work to reuse the cast piece is intense. Or remove it entirely and fabricate a new one http://www.kxriders.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=111&pos=14.  With these cut out of the way you can now rest the engine in the cradle. I set the swingarm bolt in place and rotated the engine to accomodate all of the motor mounts then built the wishbone around the new engine position.

Third, Exhaust is also labor intensive. My first choice would have been a custom cone pipe, but I could not locate a fabricator that was anywhere close to me. I ended up using a CR500 lowboy pipe and silencer, as well as a few pieces of the stock KX pipe http://www.kxriders.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=111&pos=1. I asked some questions at my local shop and here on this board about pipe dynamics, probably the most important factor was the length of the header tube before the expasion begins, then the length from there to the largest diameter of the expansion chamber. I tried to match those of a KX500 pro circuit pipe. As I was fabricating the pipe I could not say if it would have been easier to just cut up a KX pipe or my route. The Zip-Ty pipe also looks like it would be a good start. When the cutting was done I held the pipe as it was being welded to ensure good silencer alignment.

Fourth, Radiators at first were intimidating. My exhaust pipe was too close to the left side radiator, I needed to cut the bottom tank to clear it http://www.kxriders.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=111&pos=6. I sent both rads to the good people at Mylers motorcycleradiators.com. They were glad to help and do some bench racing as well. I had the hose necks cut and reangled to allow the hoses to follow the same route as the KX500 (from pump to bottom R.S. radiator, up and over to L.S. radiator then down to the cylinder).

Fifth, Connecting the carb to the airbox was easy. I tried to use a KX450F boot, but with using a reed spacer, rad valve and PWK39, the boot just pushed back into the airbox too far. I ended up using a KX500 boot, air filter, air filter holder, and air filter cage. To mount the 500 boot to the 450 airbox, I made a simple adapter plate from flat stock 3/16" black ABS to cover the 450 airbox opening, then I cutout the opening for the 500 boot. A piece that Kawasaki calls an "Air Filter Holder" works as a great template for both cuts. Thanks to demographic for answering some dimension questions before I had the 500 boot.

I don't think this project would have been realistic if the cases were wider than the swingarm would allow. Machining the cases or the swingarm would have been a big ass can of worms. When I first realized this was not a problem, it was clear to me that this project was meant to be. As if the Kawasaki engineers wanted it to happen, the two sprockets align perfectly the kickstarter looks like it is supposed to and I can change the plug with ease.

Thanks again to everyone here for their help and I would be glad to send out my dummy motor parts if you can use them. :mrgreen:

Offline MadKaw

Re: How To KX500AF
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 03:48:42 PM »
AWSOME job man! keep the dream alive... 8-)
Deviate from the Norm!
Father!...The sleeper has Awaken!!!

2001 Harley Sportster xlh1200
'73 Suzuki GT550
'75 Suzuki GT550
'74 Kawasaki Z1 900
'79 Yamaha GT80
'93 KX500*******
'84 Yamaha Riva 180z scooter
08 Q-link Pegasus scooter first new rid

Offline SMPKX500

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 03:55:55 PM »
All I can say is wow. You have something to be proud of. I sure would like to see the faces of riders who look over and say ..........WTF! :-o

Let us know how it rides. Then form a jig to start mass produceing a kit with all the R&D done. Complete with all the goodys that would make my dream come true.

500cc Thumper Smackdown!

Offline Arigato

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 04:48:16 PM »
Excellent tutorial! :mrgreen:

Offline kxs in oz

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 08:17:50 PM »
Hey hangtime that was a good run down on how to AF  a kx450 i used a kx250f air boot it lowered the carby point buy about 50 mm also use a ktm spark plug the short one it clears the fuel tank more i also used a cr pipe and it works great i have been riding mine some and need to revalve the suspension and change spring rates as you can notice the diference in weigh riding the AF so have you been riding yours yet hows it go cheers kxs in oz

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 10:32:51 PM »
Hangtime, all's I can say is friggin WOW, what a professional job. I know first hand all the fabrication woes ie: "one step foreward, three staps backwards". That bike must absolutely CRANK ! You should make an  effort to get in contact with Kawasaki's off road division, I bet they would be VERY interested in your ideas ! Enjoy that bike dude!!
               Rich
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 10:52:13 AM »
Diggin' It...

Sly

Offline kx666

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 02:38:53 PM »
i know what i am going to be dreaming about tonight!!! i have been wanting to build one for a long time. but i am and ill be dead broke for a wile

i wonder how hard it would be to put it in yamaha's fram???

~steve

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 04:08:57 AM »
Hangtime,
  I have to give you the title of "Master Fabricator" of the site.  Well Done project!!  Sure is fun when you build it yourself.  The how to guide is  excellent and outlines the critial areas to look at.  I predict we'll see quite a few more of these in the next few years, especially since a badly grenaded 450 is cost prohibitive to fix.  Cam.

2001KX5

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 12:20:14 PM »
Props to you for taking this project on and giving us all some thing to drool over. We are avid 500 lovers as it is, but that motor in that frame is rediculous!

A+++ for effort, ingenuity and quality of workmanship!

I'd say you will be drove nuts with messages now about how to do it.

Offline Mick

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 05:12:16 PM »
*APPLAUSE*  Bravo my man!
That was written so well I think I can even do it.  Only if I had the time........and the 450 :|

But if somebody wanted to start say a...............Service Kawasaki!!!  Then I'd be in business!!
1989 KX500
2003 Service Honda CR500AF

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 01:30:06 PM »
Hey all,
   Just thought that I would freshen this topic up a little. By that I mean it's been a while since anyone has posted and Hangtime did such a good job covering all the "head scratching" question that pop up way before the first time builder even has a carcass to cut on.
    It looks like there are already a few choices that have been made in air boot selection. Here is what I did. 2000 CR250 boot with an adapter fabed from .125 thick aluminum to connect it to the stock 450 air box. I removed the screen from the 450 air cleaner holder, as there isn't much of a backfire from a 2 stoke. This combination allows me to use the 450 air filter. With this combo the carb fits EXACTLY as it does in the stock KX500!

Here are a few pics....The Adapter Plate is made out of .125 6061 aluminum. Benny (Bempa) asked me to share it with him, so here it is for all to see.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 03:28:18 PM by jfabmotorsports.com »
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline dubious01

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2009, 09:47:19 AM »
I thought this might be interesting for other guys new to building aan aluminum frame KX500.... I can't wait! :-D
I'd rather CrAsH and eAt sHIzIt THAN eAt rOOsT

Offline Jon Jon

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 01:41:56 PM »
  Nice. This is the quality and ultimately the goal I will be trying to achieve on my build. I noticed some of the pics are no longer viewable. Is there a chance you could repost or email them to me?
  I have a 99 KX500 donor and a 06 KXF250 donor I will be attempting to morph together.

Offline Dutch-K5 Fan

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 04:44:40 AM »
Maybe this like could help a bit.
http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,4891.0.html

Dutchie
Proud owner of a KX500AF