Author Topic: help me my kx500 is DEAD AND GONE im feeling like i lost a child  (Read 4584 times)

Offline wicked500

help me my kx500 is DEAD AND GONE im feeling like i lost a child
« on: February 23, 2010, 05:36:38 PM »
long story short i took my bike to a mechanic at home mechanic i dropped my bike off because it had the original top end and was starting to smoke and was getting super easy to start. i drop the bike off he rebuilds the top end starts the bike and for some reason it revs up all the way he gets scared to pull the spark plug with his hand so he goes to his tool box gets a screw driver and pops out the spark plug he could of just used the flippin kill switch the bike leaked out all the water from the head blew the gasket now he rebuilt it again and now it has low compression and pops but wont start only has 90psi compression the first time he rebuilt it everything was good wtf is wrong with my bike im soo pissed off i feel like i have lost a child with this economy im lucky to even own one i sure as hell cant afford another one

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
Re: help me my kx500 is DEAD AND GONE im feeling like i lost a child
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 11:06:16 PM »
Mine did that once. It was caused by  the throttle cable being too tight and hung the slide open a little bit. It can also be caused by a big air leak. Most likely that melted the piston rings and may have left some of that ring material in the bore. He probably also wanted to save some money and not buy a new piston and gasket set. Once the piston rings are toast, so is the compression. Sorry to hear about that. Tell him about this. If that ever happens, you can grab both brakes and put it in gear. As long as you don't start it on a stand.

Offline wicked500

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 02:34:41 PM »
so it scored the piston messed up the rings and scratched up the cylinder walls four hundred dollars later it now needs 400 more this sucks so bad

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 12:27:47 AM »
Been there, buddy. Except my misfortune cost around 600 after spendng 800. This time you start it for the first time. He should be paying for his mistake. Be sure there is slack in the throttle cable. Be sure that the slide is going "Whack" closed, and definately start it on the ground with the brakes pumped up. (Sometimes it takes a pump or two, after a bike sits for a length of time), and be ready. You can bind up the brakes and put it in gear to kill it. It could be bad on transmission parts, but you are only going to need it in an emergency. The rings start heating up and cause your fire, if you feed it air, it will run.
  When mine did that, I pushed the kill switch, (nothing happened) pulled my tether kill switch for hillclimbing, (nothing happened) pulled the spark plug boot (still nothing) and then pulled the fuel line, then it died after a few seconds of screaming painful death. Panic was an understatement. It was such a Dumb@** attack, I am embarrassed to share. hitting the gas would have been better than pulling off the line. I started it up around a bunch of new cars, so putting it in gear seamed impossible at the time, but would have worked. Anytime you have a big air leak, hung up throttle or run out of fuel, it will rev uncontrollably, and you have to kill it with the transmission.
  Be patient Wicked500, the nausea will go away eventually. I used the junk piston for a shop ashtray. How many $800 conversation peices do you have?

Motorrad

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 04:35:55 AM »
He should be paying for his screw up...  Any real shop would be...
Guess that's why you shouldn't trust not taking it to a shop..
Or if your like me, I don't even trust the shops... Learn to do your own wrenching...

Offline wicked500

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 01:05:00 PM »
the bikes for sale now it has new plastics new rear tire desert tank super clean bike even comes with and extra cyinder jug all it needs is a new top end the bike is 300 dollars with title currently registered til 2011 southern california 909 456 5416

Motorrad

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 01:40:50 PM »
What does it need to get going again??
Perhapse we have parts laying about to help you.
I'm in san Diego.  Where are you

Offline wicked500

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 02:33:28 PM »
im in rancho cucamonga about 1 1/2 hours away from san diego it needs to be honed possibly re sleeved and a new cylinder  :-(

Offline wicked500

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 02:35:42 PM »
most of all it needs a expierenced kx500 mechanic and im not one

Motorrad

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 02:56:38 PM »
What year is it??

Offline wicked500

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 05:17:28 PM »
its a 1987 it uses a 1987 up to 04 parts

Motorrad

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 03:11:14 AM »
Can you get us a pic??  If it is an 87.. It is the basterd year as I call it.. Great bike.. But alot of parts don't fit it..  Pistons swap.. Some plastic.. And tires....