Author Topic: rattle from motor  (Read 10484 times)

Offline kx666

Re: rattle from motor
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 04:41:28 AM »
a simple idea for raddleing, once you start the bike and get it to the rpm that has the most rattle try putinhg your and on the kick start lever and see if it stops or quiets down, if not then move to the clutch lever, brake levers and so on.

you may have already done this but it is often over looked, most of the raddleing i find is usally somthing simple on the chasis

Offline stroke.n.smoke

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 10:20:19 AM »

funny you can say that about someone you don't know, he is a good rider and is anything but slow, most people would have a hard time keeping up to him on the trails.  And yes he does need to rejet alot, at Nesbit he rejetted the sunday morning when it was quite a bit cooler of a day adn overcast.  He complains about it but with a 200cc bike I guess you need to keep it in good tune.  I do have a mount broken but it seems to just break again if I fix it.  I welded up the one under the tank and changed the design a little, It doesn't break anymore, but the lowe one breaks now, so I just leave it.

Offline snoopjonnyjon

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2010, 10:55:35 AM »
I know I would have no chance of keeping up with him. I was just curious if it was really the bike that was more finicky, or if he just had a better butt dyno than us and was able to pick up on small differences better.

Offline stroke.n.smoke

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2010, 11:16:45 AM »
It is a nice bike, handles and rides extremely well compared to what we ride.  It feels very underpowered to me, almost like a mini, You can really feel the powerband, but yet it has a wide one, make sense, not really but when compared to a 500...  I think we get spoiled riding a bike with such a big spread of power, you can lug it down and rev it out, but on a smaller bike it seems you have to think about where you are rpm wise, mabye a finger on the clutch just in case you need to get some rpm...  I see Service Kawasaki is building a KX500AFX for the woods, too bad they couldn't get a bigger tank and a wide ratio trans.  And the price tag is quite high.  I noticed they are using a 17 inch rear wheel, instead of the 18 inch.  I just bought new rubber last week but mabye the next set I will splurge and get a rim/spoke kit and try out the 17 with a 140 section.  I think the 120/90/19 rubber works pretty good compared to the shorter 130/70/19 stuff MX bikes use.  Still I would like to try a 17 inch rear.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2010, 11:36:37 AM »

funny you can say that about someone you don't know, he is a good rider and is anything but slow, most people would have a hard time keeping up to him on the trails.  And yes he does need to rejet alot, at Nesbit he rejetted the sunday morning when it was quite a bit cooler of a day adn overcast.  He complains about it but with a 200cc bike I guess you need to keep it in good tune.  I do have a mount broken but it seems to just break again if I fix it.  I welded up the one under the tank and changed the design a little, It doesn't break anymore, but the lowe one breaks now, so I just leave it.

Didn't mean my comment as to insult your buddy's skill, if he knows how to jet, he knows how to ride. My point was more to the extent many people spend way too much time loosing sleep over the unimportant minor details instead of just getting out and enjoying max ride time.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline stroke.n.smoke

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2010, 11:53:09 AM »
No big deal, I might have misunderstood a little.  I don't jet, the 500 seems to just work.  I know it needs it but I can ride around it somewhat and most times.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2010, 04:41:55 AM »
 I was going through some of the other posts and found what I think is a good definition of the kips valve "Rattle"
   It sounds like some of the older large diesel engines rattle. (I also went back and edited my earlier post.)

Tuck\o/ 
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2010, 05:10:29 AM »
Im with cbx on this one.my 86 does it and through careful investigation i reckon its the clutch basket needle bearings.got engine out for teardown now and will be replacing them and will post any changes noted.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline stroke.n.smoke

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2010, 02:31:50 PM »
I remember my '81 IT465, It had a very similar rattle, no powervalve but it was aircooled...