Author Topic: 85 k5 upgrade to newer cylinder with kips?  (Read 2163 times)

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
85 k5 upgrade to newer cylinder with kips?
« on: January 28, 2010, 11:56:34 AM »
Sorry if this has been covered before. I have spent the last couple days trying to find an answer to this question and no luck. I recently traded some car audio for a 85 KX500 and it has 48psi compression. I can't find a new piston but found rings. Is it possible to put a newer jug on the 85 bottom end? If so, What all would be required to do it?  With the parts being so hard to find if this idea wont work I will be putting in the new ring, and cleaning it up and probably selling it.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline Speedway73

Re: 85 k5 upgrade to newer cylinder with kips?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 03:45:43 PM »
Goat....There's '83-'85 pistons kits all over e-bay for dirt cheap.

Offline Goat

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 04:05:14 PM »
I have not found any standard bore pistons though. Closest I have found is +.25mm I spend quite a bit of time on ebay and craigslist looking for parts and bikes to fix and sell.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 04:05:36 AM »
cant put kips on 85 cases as there is no drive for the powervalve, even tho it may 'fit'. hope this helps.K.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline Goat

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 08:41:06 AM »
I didn't think about that. Thanks for the info.