Author Topic: clutch change  (Read 3545 times)

Offline rastamankenny

• Youtube
clutch change
« on: January 21, 2010, 02:39:04 PM »
is it hard to change a clutch. im a person who deals with top ends only never really did anythign with the bottom but need to change the clutch in kx 97 kx125
Grass for cattle herbs for the use of man!!
Jah bless!!! Rastafari

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Re: clutch change
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 12:01:35 AM »
http://www.dirthammers.com/how_to_videos.php

You'll find a simple video here that shows how to replace the clutch. Key points to look for are notches worn into the clutch basket fingers and in to inner hub.

Here's a good read http://www.dirthammersforum.com/clutch-maintenance-t98.html
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline rastamankenny

• Youtube
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 01:24:46 AM »
thanks in the video he said soak the plates for about 3 mins. i heard people said they soak the plates for 24 hrs does soaking them longer is better?
Jah bless!!! Rastafari

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 07:21:44 PM »
Rastaman,
  Clutches are far easier than top ends.  Hardest thing is getting the side cover off and then it just get easier.  I have never soaked my plates before install although it does sound like a good idea. The only things to remember are to TORQUE the clutch spring bolts to their exact setting and use blue locktite on them.  They use a low torque and are easy to break. Cam.

Offline cbxracer30

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 12:28:33 AM »
We have always found factory kawasaki clutch fiber plates to be the best and last the longest. If its still the factory clutch the metal plates will be aluminum, steel replacements will last longer but wiegh a bit more.CBX
Yep, you can ride it - if YOU can start it !!

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 02:42:46 AM »
I haven't heard of soaking them for 24 hrs , but I do let them soak for a minute or two so they arent dry when you install them.  As CBX stated, Factory Kawasaki clutches seem to hold the best so thats what I'd run in all of my KX's.
And listen to Cam, you dont have to crank the H*LL out of the clutch spring bolts.  Torque them and it will save a lot of headaches later.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

Offline BDI

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 08:02:53 AM »
I think soaking them is good. I'm running the factory brand kevlar clutches with good luck but I wish I would have stuck with the aluminum plates over the steel. I would rather replace clutch plates then clutch hubs  :|.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 08:32:25 AM »
 Aluminum clutch plates were invented to reduce motor weight and not for longevity although I am always suprised at how much abuse the aluminum plates can take.  I just don't like the particles they polute the trans oil with.  No mater how often you change oil, over time it trashes the tiny waterpump shaft bearings.  I used a DP clutch kit, steel with carbon fiber plates.  Was good.  The stock plates are good items and lasted forever.  Cam.

Offline rastamankenny

• Youtube
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 12:44:28 PM »
changing the clutch was easy saved my self bout $100 doing it myself i took the whole clutch cover off becuase it was welded and im putting a new one on and discovered the gaskets were all busted up so now im jus waiting for the dealership to call me n test the clutch out. if your wondering what type of clutch i got it is a sumo clutch kit. it was cheap later on ill get a dp clutch kit!! working on a budget here but im not too cheap when it comes to my bike. i could have went to the auto store and bout gasket paper for bout $5 but i rather spend  $26 to make it look good!! added 2 pics

« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 12:52:25 PM by rastamankenny »
Jah bless!!! Rastafari