Author Topic: i have no luck(my cluch does'nt work,part2)  (Read 2322 times)

Offline turtle22

• '89 & '01 kx500 '87 fxr HD '80 xr500
i have no luck(my cluch does'nt work,part2)
« on: December 07, 2009, 12:58:39 PM »
so how tight should i tighten the bolts that hold the springs? not very should be the anwser. i broke two bolts and was barely torking them. does anyone know what yr cluch baskets will work on my 1989?
lets ride

Offline KXcam22

Re: i have no luck(my cluch does'nt work,part2)
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 01:10:04 PM »
Turtle,
  Most of the time you can work those 6mm bolts out of the hole by spining them with an awl tip or with something in the chuck of a reversed drill.  I use blue locktight and 6ftlbs on mine. You can always drill and use an easyout too. Cam.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 06:38:03 PM »
  Turtle,
  I agree with Cam,
 Don't feel too bad, I not only broke the first one I attempted to fix but then proceeded to snap
  a bolt on another bike several years AFTER I thought I learned my lesson  :-o
    I ponyied up for an OEM replacement.....$80.00  :oops: 

I have also gotten the snapped out bolt retrieved from the tower just like cam said. 
   Drilled  with a reverse bit, got it far enough out of the tower, only to find it spun out with finger power the rest of the way.
   My best buddy snapped off a tower trying to hold back the basket with a breaker bar and binkk!   off popped his tower.  he ran a bolt and nut through it and the one opposite it
      (for some semblance of balance) and has been running it for 5yrs now. 
   Tuck\o/   
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 04:10:54 AM »
so how tight should i tighten the bolts that hold the springs? not very should be the anwser. i broke two bolts and was barely torking them. does anyone know what yr cluch baskets will work on my 1989?

Mail me the inner hub, and I will machine out the broken bolts N/C as a member favor. What many people don't realize is those springs bolts are specifically designed to "bottom out" in the holes in the inner clutch hub. Alls you need is just to "snug" those bolts. I use a dab of blue loctite, and just snug them with a 1/4" ratchet. They are only 5mm bolts and they snap easily (I did the same thing on my WR250F as well)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 04:16:56 AM by Polar-Bus »
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 09:28:23 AM »
Polar is right about the bottoming. I forgot about that - they bottom to set the spring tension at a set amount. Cam.

Offline turtle22

• '89 & '01 kx500 '87 fxr HD '80 xr500
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 02:34:03 PM »

Mail me the inner hub, and I will machine out the broken bolts N/C as a member favor. What many people don't realize is those springs bolts are specifically designed to "bottom out" in the holes in the inner clutch hub. Alls you need is just to "snug" those bolts. I use a dab of blue loctite, and just snug them with a 1/4" ratchet. They are only 5mm bolts and they snap easily (I did the same thing on my WR250F as well)
do u mean that? cause i was looking on ebay and it looked like it was going to be an expensive mistake(lol) IM me ur address if u where :-D
lets ride