Author Topic: kx500 1988  (Read 1774 times)

Offline tunster

kx500 1988
« on: November 16, 2009, 08:31:55 AM »
OK here i am returning to my roots.Been away from kxs for a while but now ive bought a kx500 1988 to restore.Can anyone help me with the rebuild? I want to know if any newer parts will go straight on the bike like brake master cylinders and calipers? Swingarm,wheels,brake pedal?Also is there any difference between 1988 and 89 as i need a full gasket set and dont want to get the wrong one.Be greatful for some good advice.

Offline no sub for cubes

Re: kx500 1988
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 05:45:25 AM »
hi

i was in the same position as you i bought an 88 which ive been putting together from a basket case,as far as interchangable parts go with the later models your gonna find their are some differences,i know the rear wheel is a diff set up,later wheels have 3 bearings in them and the spacers are diff,as for the gasket set you need an 87 88 not an 89 cos the top end is diff on 89 onwards,i used this online microfische:to compare my 88 to later models for compatability
http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Module/Main/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/3/Make/Kawasaki

best thing i did was invest in a clymer manual and of course kxriders :) its a wealth of info here,good luck