Author Topic: kx rebuild  (Read 2110 times)

Offline blockhead ed

kx rebuild
« on: January 23, 2011, 04:47:25 PM »
Well, here it is. 1997 kx 500 getting a total rebuild from the ground up. Previous owner obviously didn't believe in maintenance. Had to change every bearing in the chassis, even the steering stem bearings were no good. Cylinder just came back from replating. waiting on main bearings, con rod, piston, and plastic. Can't wait to try it out as a fresh machine.

Offline greencannon

Re: kx rebuild
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 05:29:21 PM »
I remember my first overhaul on my 01. It was satisfying to know how fresh everything was from bearings to nuts and bolts. 
Its starting to look tired again here in 2011 but it looked really trick with Dark gunmetal silver powdercoat frame and Factory Connection Honda red shock spring.
Maybe time for a re-do its been about six years. Its held up good for the abuse it sees.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 05:39:05 PM »
 Hey Ed,
 You wouldn't believe how many guys here purchased a bike that ended up being a total re-build.
The peace of mind knowing how the bike is put together, and being able to get a great baseline on how she runs
 "Like New" is well worth it.
    Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 05:46:24 PM »
+1
The only drawback.... If something does not work correctly you only have one person to blame  :-D
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 06:08:34 AM »
+1
The only drawback.... If something does not work correctly you only have one person to blame  :-D

That's why you have a friend help lol.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline 1989kawasaki

• my 89 cr250
    • youtube
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 06:58:43 AM »
it pissed me off when i found out my 89 kx250 needed a total rebuild,
the previous owner i think was a redneck , so he didnt fix things properly or not at all (cracked clutch covers, worn water pump seal/ shaft, s**tty spokes, bad bearings except the steering ones, and fork seals)
im not going through the list of things done to it again but i costed a BIG bundle.
BUT as someone said it is VERY satisfying to know EVERYTHING is how it is supposed to be.
bikes

1977 RD400
1989 CR250
1988 CR500
1978 Z50
2009 Harley super glide custom