Author Topic: newby kx 500, need some help.  (Read 1375 times)

Offline fredodido

newby kx 500, need some help.
« on: July 12, 2009, 02:39:19 PM »
first , hello all ya.

i just bough a 1994 kx 500 for dirt cheep that was sitting in a barn for years. it is in very nice condition, the worst is that it has been not used... and all the trouble that makes.

so here we go. the bike start like a star, 3 to 4 good kick on choke when cold one good one or two when warm. when i crank the thottle, there is something sticking in the carb. that make the bike going like so... wing... wing... wing...like if it goes on and off throtle , if you know what i meen. it is getting better as i ride it but i need to do something... the needle sticking ??? any ideas...

ok and one more bug (more serious), i drained the trany oil, it was milky, refiled ride and refild... did that tree times. it is now getting less and less milky as i ride it and change oil... are the sealed getting back to shape??? beside from the water pump seal is there any other thing i should think about. the rad does not seems to loose to much fluid, after 1 hour of riding it was half inch below the cap, full at take off...

lass issue, it does not have the power it should, it fills like a mis-ajusted carb or something, it is getting better and better compare to the beginning... so i'm thinking some kind of ajustment or cleaning...

so i would like to know, should i just keep riding it for the summer like so until i rebuild the buttom and top this winter... our should i try some simple fixing now.

you guys that knows those beast tell me what you think...

first message, long message... once the bike is running like a true star (like they do), i'll be lots shorter :lol:

thanks a lot.

so should i ride it for the summer

Offline kx250.1698

Re: newby kx 500, need some help.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 07:33:03 PM »
hi, i had the same problem with my kx125, the carb was  very dirty so i took it apart and cleaned it, take your jets out and clean the whole carb spotless and look if your throttle cable is running strait.