Author Topic: Lowering a KX65  (Read 10426 times)

Offline gwcrim

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/gwcrim
Lowering a KX65
« on: May 26, 2009, 01:02:41 AM »
Couple of weeks ago I got my youngest a KX65 but it's way to tall for him.  I looked at the optional links from Kawasaki and found that the longest one was 2mm more than the 86.3 that came on it.  Being a bit skeptical that 2mm would do much, I made a test link to see what it would do.  It worked out that every 1mm of additional length lowered the bike 1/4 inch in fender height.  So I then made a link that was about 95mm long.  It lowered the rear about 2 inches.

I picked up some steel stock and I'll make a permanent set.  3 feet of steel at Lowes was $6.  The local Kaw shop wanted $60 for a set of links that wouldn't have done squat.

FYI, YMMV, and all that good stuff.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 02:50:56 AM by gwcrim »
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'til I'm sane

Offline KXcam22

Re: Lowering a KX65
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 03:33:08 PM »
Good plan on building those dog bones. You might want to lower the forks to level the bike.  On my sons XR100 the i cut the fork springs an inch and put a 1" spacer with the topout spring inside the fork.  This year he is tall enough so I will reverse it. Cam.

Offline gwcrim

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 01:15:11 AM »
I slid the triple clamps down as far as they'd go but I haven't yet gotten to the springs.  Just one more thing to do.
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 02:23:53 AM »
I think you'd be surprised at how quickly he will be able to ride without touching the ground. Several kids in the hillclimbing circuit ride all around and they barely reach the pegs. Its like when a youngster rides the older brother's Ten-speed. They just scoot over and stretch to get a toe down. They still bail alot and bust the clutch lever and perches (bark busters will save you money), but they get it figured out easy. They usually need someone to hold em up till they get started, or we use wood blocks for them to stand on. Its somehow easier for them to adapt. Probably because they are not scared or not relearning something, its all new.
  Teaching the clutch will probably be more of an issue, and the almighty 65's powerband. They will wheelie with me on it. I would look into detuning it for a little while. Restricting the exhaust, extra slack in the throttle, somethin' till the little guy gets it half way figured out. The first incident or two will be important to his confidence.

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 03:59:09 AM »
I was 13 riding a '78 RM400. I started it between two concrete blocks and just hopped to one side to stop. It didnt take me long to figure out where all the ditches were so that I could restart if I needed to.
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline gwcrim

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 06:09:01 AM »
He's doing pretty darn well on it.  His biggest issue is with the clutch.  He LOVES the power and does quite well when he comes to a stop.  First thing I did to it was put hand guards on.  My biggest concern with lowering it is that it's much nicer in the woods for a 6 yr old on a bike like that.
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 07:21:15 AM »
He will love it lowered. The hand guards will save you in levers, pdq.
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 02:51:41 PM »
Kids don't really understand what a clutch is.  For my son I made it a game to see how slow he could go (on flat ground) by slipping the clutch and walking with his feet.  Turned out to be an effective way to teach the clutch.  I always lower my kids bikes to give them more confidence in the bush.  Sometimes when we are riding as a group, the terrain gets ugly and it is nice to see them able to ride through it (somtimes with some dad help).   Cam.