Author Topic: how big a nitrogen tank?  (Read 2588 times)

mikesmith

how big a nitrogen tank?
« on: September 10, 2004, 07:28:43 AM »
Any one whos rebuilding there own shocks (like Rick),how big a nitrogen tank do you have?Im going to buy one,but dont want to have to refill it all the time,like welding tanks isnt it cheaper in the long run to go with a big tank?Thanks.

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
how big a nitrogen tank?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 08:01:00 AM »
10lbs will last quite a while ;)

Offline JBKX

how big a nitrogen tank?
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 12:58:30 AM »
I too am rebuilding my first shock.  Is there any trick when filling the nitrogen, or just put in tank pressure?
2) 1986 KXT250 TECATE 3's
1986 KXT500 TECATE
2001 KX500SF

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
how big a nitrogen tank?
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 01:00:20 AM »
Quote from: JBKX
I too am rebuilding my first shock.  Is there any trick when filling the nitrogen, or just put in tank pressure?

You'll need a regulator / gauge that reads atleast 175lb. That's all the pressure the shock takes.

Offline KXcam22

how big a nitrogen tank?
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 04:24:05 AM »
My tank is one of the short welding style ones, About 36"x10" using an O2 regulator.  I have an old guage left over from setting my fox airshocks (circa 1979).  It has a guage and a special attachment that threads over the schraeder valve with a threaded plunger to press the valve in.  You can set the shock pressure then back off the valve before removing the guage so you don't lose any pressure.  Doesn't sound like the KX shock needs to be as accurate so is probably overkill. The threaded plunger it cool though. Cam.

Rick

how big a nitrogen tank?
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2004, 07:50:29 AM »
Yup, Paul is correct on the pounds.  If you put in tank pressure without a regulator, you will be purchasing new shock parts.

I, too, use an old oxygen regulator from a welding setup.  Works great, but you need to add an adapter to fit the bottle.  My bottle is about 48 inches tall, and sits on its side facing the side of the van just in case the top gets broken off in an accident.  In this event, the bottle will rocket sideways through the side of the van.  Easy exit...

I usually refill my cylinder 3 times a year for about $20 each, but I also run my air tools off the nitrogen, as well as inflat tubes, so use it for more than just my shocks.

Good luck.

Rick